none
Run as administrator is changing target path RRS feed

• Question

• I'm on a WES7 32bit system.

When I'm logged in with the build in Administrator, I create a shortcut in the Start-Menu with Right-click on the application and then go to "Pin to Start Menu".

My application file exe is in "C:\Program Files\Folder\application.exe"

Now I create an new user with admin rights, log out my Administrator account and loggon to the new account.

Then I go to Start, do a right-click on my application shortcut and select "Run as Administrator".

I receive a pop-up message, that the system cannot find my application in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Folder\application.exe"

After that I chaeck the target path of my shortcut in the Start-Menu, and it has changed to

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Folder\application.exe".

What I 'm doing wrong? Or what can I do, to prevent this error

Kind regards

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 9:23 AM

Answers

• Sorry. I see it now. Program Files (x86) should be coming up on a 32-bit Windows since it already 32-bit

1. When you created the shortcut did you double check to see the path?

2. Is the path still correct in the original Administrator account?

3. Using the built in Administrator account might be the issue. As a test, create a new shortcut in the new account, then create another new Admin account and see if the shortcut stays the same.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

• Marked as answer by maze-1 Wednesday, July 31, 2019 5:57 AM
    Tuesday, July 30, 2019 2:53 AM

All replies

• I am not seeing a difference between the two paths. Copy paste error?

I am going to move this to the WES7 forum as this one is the POSReady7 forum.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Saturday, July 27, 2019 5:35 PM
  • Well, no, no copy and paste error.

Monday, July 29, 2019 5:18 AM
  • Sorry. I see it now. Program Files (x86) should be coming up on a 32-bit Windows since it already 32-bit

1. When you created the shortcut did you double check to see the path?

2. Is the path still correct in the original Administrator account?

3. Using the built in Administrator account might be the issue. As a test, create a new shortcut in the new account, then create another new Admin account and see if the shortcut stays the same.

• Marked as answer by maze-1 Wednesday, July 31, 2019 5:57 AM
    Tuesday, July 30, 2019 2:53 AM
  • Thank you Sean,

point 3 helped me out of this mess.

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 5:57 AM