locked
An error occurred while communicating with the database RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have (or had) a working Silverlight desktop client, and did an update today. Whilst testing the update on the live server, I suddenly got this error. It was working fine one minute, then stopped. I am deploying by creating a disk package, then copying the contents of bin/Release/app.publish to the server using an FTP client. This was following advice I got in this thread, which has worked fine evr since.

    I had a problem a while back, in which I suddenly got this error after updating an existing application, and that turned out to be a problem with the connection string. I'm not sure if this is the same, as I was careful when copying the app.publish folder contents to the server that I didn't copy over the web.config file.

    However, as it wasn't working, I tried copying that file again, and got a different error! The web.config that is generated when I create the package includes the following two lines...

        <add name="_IntrinsicData" connectionString="_IntrinsicData Placeholder" />
        <add name="MyAppData" connectionString="Data Source=myserver;Initial Catalog=mydatabase;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=myusername;Password=mypassword" />

    (sensitive data changed)

    Now if you look at the first line, it doesn't look right. As I'm using an external SQL Server 2012 database for the app, I changed the connection string for the intrinsic data to be the same as the one for the MyAppData (which is what I did before), and now I get the error shown in the subject line.

    Anyone any ideas? Having done a simple update, I now have a completely broken app :(

    If I use the Test Connection button in the publish wizard, then it connects fine, so I know the details in the connection string are correct (quite apart form the fact that I've been using them for some time).

    Thanks for any help you can give.


    FREE custom controls for Lightswitch! A collection of useful controls for Lightswitch developers. Download from the Visual Studio Gallery.

    If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/


    • Edited by Mr Yossu Sunday, September 28, 2014 5:51 PM
    Sunday, September 28, 2014 5:32 PM

All replies

  • Anyone any ideas? Please, I'm desperate. This app has been broken for two days now, and I don't have a clue how to fix it.

    I tried restoring the Web.config from last week, when it was all working fine, but that didn't help. I still get the same error.

    Anyone any ideas?


    FREE custom controls for Lightswitch! A collection of useful controls for Lightswitch developers. Download from the Visual Studio Gallery.

    If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/

    Tuesday, September 30, 2014 2:27 PM
  • Hi!

    Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you.. Happened to some of my users yesterday, and last for about 45 minutes.. app wasn't updated for months.. somehow everything went back to normal (well at least when I was logged in as admin), but I'm little (read: REALLY) scared that if it happens again I won't be able to solve it..

    Also, did have an app created in LSv1 with reporting which suddenly stopped working at all (reporting part); when user wanted to print report he just get some error about printing and wcf service (can't recall now exactly what error was), and what's interesting that another app made with same LSv1 and reporting assembly's (still) works fine on same server (and I really hope that it will continue to work until I find time to upgrade it or write new version), at first I was suspecting that it was something with server update but then it should propagate to another app on same server..

    I was post problem here on forums but never got any answer, probably cause v1 is old news / unwanted child / *insert your preferred phrase*.. 

    Hope you'll track this down..

    Kivito


    Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! (M.P.F.C.)

    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 7:50 AM
  • Hi Kivito, thanks for the reply.

    I'm using VS2013 actually, not v1. Although I am dubious about the changes they made, I decided to do this app in the latest version. However, from what I can see, the Silverlight client is the unwanted child, irrespective of the version. Microsoft don't seem interested in supporting it at all.

    Looks like I'm completely stuffed here. No support from anyone at Microsoft, no indication of what the error is, and no way to track it down. Users can't do anything, and I'm in trouble!

    This is one of the big disadvantages with something like LS I suppose. When something like this goes wrong, you've no way of knowing what it is.

    Guess I'm faced with having to ditch Lightswitch altogether and write it in WPF/WCF. At least that way I'll know when something goes wrong.

    Thanks anyway.


    FREE custom controls for Lightswitch! A collection of useful controls for Lightswitch developers. Download from the Visual Studio Gallery.

    If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/

    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 1:29 PM