none
Creating JPG by Pixel RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to create a binary (black and white) image pixel by pixel using VBA with a jpeg output.  I found other forums about creating a .BMP output (and have created the images using this method) but these create relatively large file sizes (~3 MB) whereas a converted JPG image would only use about 46 KB.

If there are no good ways to output directly to a JPG and I have to create a BMP first, is it possible to not write the image to a drive just to re-read that image back into VBA?

Thanks,

Dustin

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 1:36 PM

All replies

• Whenever I need to do anything with images I use ImageMajick (free).  It has a COM interface so you can call it from VBA or you can use command line calls.  It does everything I have ever wanted to do.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2016 2:05 PM
  • Unfortunately I won't be able to use this method since we have strict restrictions as to what programs we are allowed to install.  Also, even if I could get approved to install the program on my machine it would be run on various other computers.

Thanks for the advice though - I'll keep this program in mind for other projects.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 7:01 PM
  • I know of no native Windows capability to manipulate jpeg images.  I have written some C# programs to do some simple conversions but this still involves installing a program.

I include Imagemagick in one of my distributed Office apps and include it in the installer.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 12:10 AM