The organization or content of the OLAP cube has been changed ... RRS feed

• Question

• I recently received the following message in my workbook when I try to refresh the Power Pivot PivotTables:

"The organization or content of the OLAP cube has been changed and, as a result, no data items are available for display in this PivotTable report.

Consult your database administrator"

When clicking the OK button the PivotTables reset and all selected fields and filters are lost. I can then recreate the PivotTable using the PowerPivot data, but I'm wondering why Excel is prompting this message. The workbook consists of a half dozen or so PivotTables all connecting to a PowerPivot data model. The PowerPivot data model consists of three unrelated SSAS queries as three distinct tabs. No direct connections to a SSAS DB exists in the Excel workbook.

Operating system: Windows 7

Excel 2010 64-bit & PowerPivot 11.0.3000.0

Any idea?

Thursday, December 10, 2015 3:24 PM

Answers

• If you are sourcing data from SSAS it's possible that your MDX queries generate result sets that have varying numbers of columns. For example if you have the month members on the columns then each month a new column would be created. This would change the structure of your Power Pivot model possibly resulting in an error like the one above.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Friday, December 11, 2015 5:22 AM
  • Chad,

Please send a Frown to the team or use Power BI User Voice to submit your feedback!

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, July 29, 2016 9:13 PM

All replies

• If you are sourcing data from SSAS it's possible that your MDX queries generate result sets that have varying numbers of columns. For example if you have the month members on the columns then each month a new column would be created. This would change the structure of your Power Pivot model possibly resulting in an error like the one above.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Friday, December 11, 2015 5:22 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Darren. That makes sense, but I don't think it is the issue. The tables/columns in PowerPivot match exactly the fields listed in the PowerPivot Field List.

The Power Pivot data designer had added a calculated column and then deleted it. After this Excel started prompting with this message. Is there a way to "resynchronize" Excel with its Power Pivot data model?

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 8:02 PM
  • Chad,

Please send a Frown to the team or use Power BI User Voice to submit your feedback!

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, July 29, 2016 9:13 PM