none
Project Server 2010 - Project Server sending Physical location of task as part of Task name to Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• All,

Not sure why this is happening but I'm noticing that Project Server is sending tasks to Outlook with the physical location of the task appended to the end of the tasks name.

For example.

My Plan would look like this:

EPIC Project Plan

Summary Tasks 1

Task A

Task B

Summary Task 2

Task C

The person getting the task would see Task C (EPIC Project Plan\Summary Task 1\Summary Task 2\) then when they send this over for approval the entire task name comes over and modifies the name Tasks C to be "Task C (EPIC Project Plan\Summary Task 1\Summary Task 2\Task C" Any ideas on why server is sending over the task name with the location in ()?

Thanks

Donald R. Landry
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 4:53 PM

All replies

• I think you are interpreting it as a physical location due to the backslashes, but in reality it is just the task hierarchy. That information is included so that people know which task it is.

Unfortunately not all tasks are named well so it is possible for someone working on a number of projects to have a bunch of tasks come over into outlook which say:

Develop Test Plan

Develop Test Plan

Develop Test Plan

Unit Testing

Unit Testing

Unit Testing

Unit Testing

Unit Testing

Unit Testing

Unit Testing

Unit Testing

That would not be very useful would it?

So the project and the summary task information is included so that people can know what the task is.

Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:00 PM
  • Ok that make sense but why wouldn't server recognize that hierarchy and then remove it from the task name prior to the updates being made to the plan?  Is there some way to remove the hierarchy in the approval process?

Donald R. Landry
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 9:01 PM
  • Hmmm... I didn't read that last part correctly. That is a puzzle. Any special characters in the task names - things like \ ( ) etc.?
    Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:41 AM
  • Some I did and others I didn't.  I removed heirarchy reference in all my tasks now.  I will run a test on another plan to see if I can trigger it.  If you find out anything please let me know.  Thanks
    Donald R. Landry
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 4:11 PM
  • This still occurs even if you remove the reference and save and publish.  The minute someone updates their tasks in outlook server adds the heirarchy information at the end of the task name.  Its very annoying and I've yet to see any setting to prevent it from happening. 
    Donald R. Landry
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 9:14 PM