External Sharepoint to show/create work items for our customers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we're having a discussion at work where we want to expose Sharepoint to our customers in order for them to create and list work items. We have already setup an external site in DMZ that our customers can use to view documents. What I would like to know, is what is the best way to expose work items? We have customized work items to include an internal/public flag so that we only want to show public work items. We want to control what fields and what kinds of items our customers can report. Can this be done already with Sharepoint "standard" web parts, or are we better off developing our own web parts? I don't know where to begin, so I would be grateful for any tips, pointers, and advice!

Oh, we're using Sharepoint Services 3.0 and TFS 2010.

Regards,

Daniel Lidström

Stockholm, Sweden

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• This can be done without any customization. If your external customers should only be permitted to view certain items within a list, I would put only those items into another list and expose that list to the external users, by providing them permissions. You can still use the same content type, assuming you have one, as the internal items, but if you want to expose only certain fields to them, you can create a view containing only those fields that you want to expose.

Another alternative, which would not neccesitate the creation of another list, would be to create a view, as above, with only the fields you want to expose, and create a page with a Content Query Web Part on it. You can configure this Web part to point to the list, and to show the view that you want. Then you can set the necessary permissions to expose the page to the external users.

hope this helps,

sivilian

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 3:15 PM
  • What should I look for in the documentation? Is the first option called Sharepoint Views? Sorry, I really have minimal exposure to Sharepoint. Thanks for your suggestions!
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:04 AM
  •  In the first option, you would create a list that will only hold those items which you want to expose. The advantage of this is that it is easier to maintain security on the list as a whole, than on individual items which you would need to do, if you want to expose only some of the records. The drawback is that your items will be sparsed in two different lists. If this is a problem an alternative would be the second option above.

Here are some links that explain the concepts that I mentioned.

Create or change  a view 

Create a custom list form

Change permission settings for a list or library

For option 2:

How to: Customize the Content Query Web Part by using Custom Properties

hope this helps,

John

• Marked as answer by PD_Lidstrom Friday, December 23, 2011 8:15 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:14 PM
  • Thanks a lot for the links John!
    Friday, December 23, 2011 8:15 AM