none
One Note File Format RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to parse the One Note file format following the specification given in MS-ONESTORE.pdf, however I'm having some problems.

1.) The magic numbers and GUID's listed do not match any files I can find or create myself.  Is the document out of date, or am I just reading it completely wrong.

2.) I would like to read all formats 2003, 2007 and 2010.  The document only talks about the latest version of the file.  Where can I find documentation on the older formats?  The fields in the header marked legacy seem to point to similar structures.  Can I use these to parse the old file formats.

Monday, January 30, 2012 1:33 AM

Answers

• Hi nuix_nick, I'll address each of your questions separately.

1a. When you say 'magic numbers' I assume that you are referring to uintMagic. There's nothing special about that value. Just make sure you are reading the bytes in little endian order and you shouldn't have any problems.

1b. When you read GUID values make sure that you are reading them in RPC IDL format as specified in MS-DTYP section 2.3.2.1. The byte ordering looks like this…

Data 1: 4 bytes stored in little endian order

Data 2: 2 bytes stored in little endian order

Data 3: 2 bytes stored in little endian order

Data 4: 8 bytes stored sequentially.

Here's a graphical example of the first 16 bytes from a .onetoc2 file.

2. Only the OneNote 2010 file formats are currently documented. There are no plans to include specifications or behavior notes for previous versions at this time.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:06 PM

All replies

• nuix_nick,

Thank you for your question.  An enginner from the Protocols team will reply soon.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team
    Monday, January 30, 2012 5:08 PM
  • Hi nuix_nick, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.
    Monday, January 30, 2012 5:26 PM
  • Hi nuix_nick, I'll address each of your questions separately.

1a. When you say 'magic numbers' I assume that you are referring to uintMagic. There's nothing special about that value. Just make sure you are reading the bytes in little endian order and you shouldn't have any problems.

1b. When you read GUID values make sure that you are reading them in RPC IDL format as specified in MS-DTYP section 2.3.2.1. The byte ordering looks like this…

Data 1: 4 bytes stored in little endian order

Data 2: 2 bytes stored in little endian order

Data 3: 2 bytes stored in little endian order

Data 4: 8 bytes stored sequentially.

Here's a graphical example of the first 16 bytes from a .onetoc2 file.

2. Only the OneNote 2010 file formats are currently documented. There are no plans to include specifications or behavior notes for previous versions at this time.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:06 PM