none
how to make work .net framework 4.0 in .net framework 2.0 without upgrading RRS feed

• Question

• i have build a applicatioin in .net framework 4.0 and when i published the application, when i install the setup file of the application in the different system it is asking to install this application need to update a .net framework 4.0

the problem is the clint end user machine will not be connected to the internet to update and the client actually don't want any other thing to install accept this application

then again i came back to the solution of application and doubled clicked on the properties in that i selected application option in that i changed the target framework4.0 to target framework 2.0

than i rebuild the application and published it and installed in the different machine same error i am getting

what should i do please help me

please

Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:48 PM

Answers

• According to what i understand from your description.

No, you can not downgrade the target platform of your application if you are using any of its features. Doing so will give you many errors about the references you are using in your application.

One option is to ship .net framework 4 with your application so the application will not need to use internet to install .net framework.

Right click your setup project and the below dialog will open (images taken from internet).

Select .net framework 4 ( do not select .net framework 4 client profile unless you are using it.)

Select download from the same location as my application is.(To install framework from the same location without internet)

Please mark those posts as answer which answers your question. Faraz

Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:36 PM

All replies

• i have build a applicatioin in .net framework 4.0 and when i published the application, when i install the setup file of the application in the different system it is asking to install this application need to update a .net framework 4.0

the problem is the clint end user machine will not be connected to the internet to update and the client actually don't want any other thing to install accept this application

then again i came back to the solution of application and doubled clicked on the properties in that i selected application option in that i changed the target framework4.0 to target framework 2.0

than i rebuild the application and published it and installed in the different machine same error i am getting

what should i do please help me

please

Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:47 PM
  • After selected the new target .NET Framework (2.0) in Visual Studio, did you restart Visual Studio, then rebuild the entire solution, then recreate your deployment package?

If not, all those steps are required.

Is this a Windows app or a web app?

If you have further issues with your application, please provide more information, like Visual Studio version and edition, project type and programming language used.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:29 PM
  • According to what i understand from your description.

No, you can not downgrade the target platform of your application if you are using any of its features. Doing so will give you many errors about the references you are using in your application.

One option is to ship .net framework 4 with your application so the application will not need to use internet to install .net framework.

Right click your setup project and the below dialog will open (images taken from internet).

Select .net framework 4 ( do not select .net framework 4 client profile unless you are using it.)

Select download from the same location as my application is.(To install framework from the same location without internet)

Please mark those posts as answer which answers your question. Faraz

Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Hi,

Please check what is the version of the .Net framework installed in client's Box. I prefer to install the .Net framework 4.0 in client machine. You don't require to install the .Net framework in client's Box.

Try this.

1. Set the target framework as 4.0 back.

2. Right-click the Setup project and open the properties of the setup project.

3. The will be button called "Prerequisities" under "Configuration Properties -> Build".

4. Select the framework version which you want to install.

5. Also select "Download prerequisities from the same location as my application" option. This will give the .Net framework setup along with your application setup.

6. Just Execute the setup.Exe file as usual.

7. It will install the .Net framework if it is not exists in the Client's Box along with your application.

Regards

Gops

Gops

Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:02 PM
  • Were you able to retarget all projects in your solution to .NET 2.0, then restart VS and rebuild without any errors on the dev machine?

Friday, March 30, 2012 12:07 AM