none
Kernel Debugging over USB Cable 2.0 on Surface Pro tablet RRS feed

• Question

• Does kernel mode debugging over a USB 2.0 cable work successfully on a Surface Pro tablet to debug an early start boot driver?  Network debugging doesn't catch the ELAM driver loading early enough while serial port debugging does. 
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:03 AM

Answers

• Neither Windows 8 nor current builds of Windows 8.1 support boot debugging on USB2 EHCI.  (Blue Dongle)  However if you enable bootdebugging, and the Surface Pro supports KDNET, that ought to actually work.

bcdedit -bootdebug on

Joe.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:21 PM

All replies

• I haven't tried it, but I expect it will. It would be even easier to do your debugging in a virtual machine. Hyper-V is part of Win8 Pro and Enterprise; however, you have to enable it in the Programs and Features control panel

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:28 AM
  • <removed reply>
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:16 AM
  • Neither Windows 8 nor current builds of Windows 8.1 support boot debugging on USB2 EHCI.  (Blue Dongle)  However if you enable bootdebugging, and the Surface Pro supports KDNET, that ought to actually work.

bcdedit -bootdebug on

Joe.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:21 PM
  • So I was assuming that you wanted to use .kdfiles to transfer the boot driver. For that you do need boot debugging to be supported and enabled, but for just debugging an already copied boot driver, there is no reason you can't use ANY of the debug transports. They all initialize at exactly the same time during boot, and much sooner than the boot drivers get called. KDNET should work just fine.  If you are using windbg, hit ctrl-alt-k so that it says "Will breakin at boot."

Joe.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:41 PM