global hotkey

Answers

• As Jeff said, this is not possible for Windows Store apps.

I suspect you are seeing that set from desktop OneNote, not from the Windows Store app version of OneNote. For a desktop app see          RegisterHotKey . Note that Win+ key combinations are reserved for the OS, so you shouldn't use Win+T for your own app. It is already assigned to move through the task bar.

--Rob

Monday, November 05, 2012 9:26 PM
    Owner

All replies

• As Jeff said, this is not possible for Windows Store apps.

I suspect you are seeing that set from desktop OneNote, not from the Windows Store app version of OneNote. For a desktop app see          RegisterHotKey . Note that Win+ key combinations are reserved for the OS, so you shouldn't use Win+T for your own app. It is already assigned to move through the task bar.

--Rob

Monday, November 05, 2012 9:26 PM
    Owner
  • But this is on WinRT...  So, I guess I can have my users install a "helper" utility that registers the hot key and somehow send that data to my store app?

Can WinRT users install desktop apps compiled for RT?  I guess they can, otherwise, how would office RT work...

www.emadibrahim.com

Monday, November 05, 2012 10:22 PM
  • Hi Emad,

No they cannot install a helper and send that data to your app.  You cannot install a desktop app compiled for Windows RT.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, November 08, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Ok I get that...  But how did ms office/one note do that or are they installed as an "OS" update with different privileges?

www.emadibrahim.com

Thursday, November 08, 2012 4:40 PM
  • Office is a desktop app.

Thursday, November 08, 2012 4:41 PM
    Owner
  • I understand that but jeff said you cannot build desktop apps for RT...  so how was office built?  As part of the OS/Microsoft-only tools?

www.emadibrahim.com

Thursday, November 08, 2012 4:46 PM
  • Office is a pre-installed feature on Windows RT.

--Rob

Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:06 PM
    Owner
  • win+n does not open OneNote on my surface.
    Monday, November 12, 2012 10:04 PM