Am I able to use HealthVault SDK as my full on solution for PHR and EHR along with Dynamic CRM? RRS feed

• Question

• We are looking to start developing our own EHR solution along with a PHR solution.  Seemingly a lot is accomplished with the PHR solution from HealthVault. 

1.  Is this SDK able to have automation from EHR systems such as EPIC or Cerner?  

2. Would an EHR system with the backbone of Microsoft Dynamics CRM be possible for full on development that is secure and robust?  Having the CRM in general would be a great asset.  

3. Are there any patent issues from companies like MMR Global that could be an issue in developing this system?  

Any additional insight would be appreciated. 

Christian CXM

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 7:54 PM

Answers

•  Yes, your scenario could be implemented using the HealthVault platform API.

-Sean

Monday, November 10, 2014 7:26 PM

All replies

• Christian, you have to remember that the HVR account owner is in complete control of his record at all times. He can grant or revoke access of any application to that HVR at any time.

Suppose you are writing an app for use by doctors. If you use HV as that app's back end, the patient could revoke the doctor's access at any time. That is usually not acceptable to a doctor. In my state of MA, I believe that current regulations require a doctor to maintain data for 7 years after the encounter. If the doctor tried to use the patient's HVR for this, the patient could revoke access at any time and then the doctor would not be in compliance.

A gateway to or from the doctor's clinical system, so the doctor can copy data from the patient's HVR as a convenience to the doctor, or can copy the clinical system's data to the patient's HVR as a convenience to the patient, may well be a useful thing. But as the complete data storage solution to a clinical system, I have a hard time seeing it.

David S Platt

Friday, October 31, 2014 11:47 PM
  • you make great points David... However, if I am using a CRM or a central db as my center point in data collection then the push of data to and from the phr to the db to the ehr is now owned by the doctor... yes the app and further pushing of info could be cut off when the user blocks off their app but the doctor's system is seperate unto itself and would always have a central db repository of information collected and kept. 

Am I thinking of this correctly?  

Are you a developer?  would you like to collaborate a little?  Me a few other developers are very interested in the project... we have a larger business and app development goal in mind.   

Christian CXM

Sunday, November 2, 2014 11:55 PM
  • The HealthVault schema does not provide a means to keep track of every bit of information you would want to track for a full EHR solution. As a result, an EHR application would necessarily need to have its own data store to keep track of information that does not belong in a users’ HealthVault record, so using CRM as a data store is a perfectly rational design choice.

The Patient Portal integration is where you are going to invest a good amount of design consideration.  Are you going to provide a customized/extended user experience for the patients HealthVault data, or are you going to use the information in the EHR data store?

If you integrate with HealthVault, are you going to synchronize the data in the HealthVault record with the data in the EHR data store? Are you just going to push data? These decisions depend on what exactly you are trying to accomplish.

-Sean

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:03 PM
  • Sean thanks for the response... 

I want the patient to have a customized/extended user experience with HV data and I want them to have information from the EHR data store.  

For example I want to the patient to see their vitals and general information per their HV record and then I want them to see their prescriptions and soap notes per the EHR entries.  Is that plausible? 

when you say push or sync... what is more realistic and plausible for my scenario... I like the idea of sync but pushing data might be the better choice.  What is your take?

For now I want to know most importantly is my scenario possible? 

It seems like it is but I want to make sure. 

The reason why I like the idea of the HV integration is that it is an account just like an outlook account.  Microsoft is trusted and other apps are being built on the platform like glucose meters and heart rate monitors.  Having a user access to all of those services would be great for the patient.  

Christian CXM

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 11:54 PM
  •  Yes, your scenario could be implemented using the HealthVault platform API.

-Sean

Monday, November 10, 2014 7:26 PM