none
This feature is not installed? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've created a simple console app in C# (.NET 3.5) that converts a .doc to a .pdf. It works locally, but when I try to run the executable on another computer it an exception occurs that the export feature is not installed. But Word is installed and .NET-support is enabled!

I did find information about creating your own installer but I don't want to do all that. Copying the Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word dll did not do the trick either. Installing Visual Studio Tools for Office did also not help. I just want a solution that works in 5 minutes and don't want to waste time here.

Any ideas what is the problem?

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:49 AM

Answers

• If it's anything earlier than Word 2007 SP2, the feature to save as PDF is not built-in. If it's Word 2007 (no SP) or Word 2007 (SP1) you can download the addin from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=4d951911-3e7e-4ae6-b059-a2e79ed87041

but I do not know whether you can use it the same way programmatically.

It is also possible that this feature can be enabled/disabled in Office/Word SETUP

Peter Jamieson
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:30 PM

All replies

• I'm going to be moving this to the Word for Developers forum as the question does not involve the VSTO technology (VSTO runs in-process with the Office application).

You need to provide information about the version of Word you used to create your solution and the version of Word on this other computer.

Please also provide the EXACT exception message you're getting.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:54 PM
  • If it's anything earlier than Word 2007 SP2, the feature to save as PDF is not built-in. If it's Word 2007 (no SP) or Word 2007 (SP1) you can download the addin from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=4d951911-3e7e-4ae6-b059-a2e79ed87041

but I do not know whether you can use it the same way programmatically.

It is also possible that this feature can be enabled/disabled in Office/Word SETUP

Peter Jamieson
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Thanks a million times!!!!!
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:17 PM