none
Project 2007_Import/Merge from Excel RRS feed

• Question

• I successfully do an import/merge data from an excel spreadsheet into a project file, all goes well except the Percent Complete, on one task the % imports correctly (100%), while another imports 4% when the actual value in the spreadsheet if 85%.  Any idea's why this would occur?
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:35 PM

Answers

• Sorry you are correct, the list of fields i'm importing are id, task name, duration, work (not actual or remaining, just work), % work complete, start and finish.

Thanks

Are you looking at % Complete or % work complete in Project? What are your settings (tools/options/calculations). If you know work and percent work complete in your spreadsheet, try importing work and actual work instead. This may result in a better calculation (or not) or try mapping to % Complete instead of %Work complete.

Also, try leaving off finish. You have duration already, entering start and finish and duration may be a problem if they are not matching. Project calculates finish from start and duration.

Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 11:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Isn't that task a summary task?

Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:47 PM
  • Neither tasks area summary tasks, i'm importing/merging 3 tasks, one is 100% compelte, the 2nd is 85% complete and the third has no activity, but they import/merge as 100%, 4% and 0%.  Each time i try it i get a different result, the last time the first imported at 5% complete instead of 100%
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:46 PM
  • Hi,

Which fields do you import exactly? Are tehre any other firlds that would make %complete recalculate such as Actual or Remaining?

Friday, October 22, 2010 8:45 PM
  • I am importing/merging id, task name, duration, work (not actual or remaining, just work), start and finish
    Friday, October 22, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry to ask again for the detail (if I want to simulate this it is important I simulate exactly the same thing) but this is not consistant with your first post, there I read (quote)

on one task the % imports correctly (100%), while another imports 4% when the actual value in the spreadsheet if 85%. 

This implies you are importing a %complete field as well, since you mention the value "in the spreadsheet".

Which one is it?

Saturday, October 23, 2010 8:21 AM
  • Sorry you are correct, the list of fields i'm importing are id, task name, duration, work (not actual or remaining, just work), % work complete, start and finish.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 11:11 PM

Thanks

Are you looking at % Complete or % work complete in Project? What are your settings (tools/options/calculations). If you know work and percent work complete in your spreadsheet, try importing work and actual work instead. This may result in a better calculation (or not) or try mapping to % Complete instead of %Work complete.

Also, try leaving off finish. You have duration already, entering start and finish and duration may be a problem if they are not matching. Project calculates finish from start and duration.

Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 11:26 PM
  • Closing this thread unless there is further input from user.

In summary:

Importing percent complete is problematic if other related fields are being imported due to the order of operations and the settings within the project. Consider importing in two separate steps in order to confirm that the operations are performed in the correct order.

Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 4:18 PM