Instrumenting BizTalk Apps Using Event Logs RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello Experts,

After seeing a lot of questions regarding the instrumentation of Biztalk apps using Event Log, I have created an article which list some good practices. Please  review and suggest if some more info can be added or original to be modified to the article so that the community members can benefit from it.

The link to the article is 

Instrumenting BizTalk Apps using Event Logs: Good Practices

Regards,

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 3:20 PM

All replies

• Looks great Mandar :-)

Regards Pushpendra Singh : Please mark the reply as answer or vote it up, as deemed fit.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 3:45 PM
  • Hi Mandar,

This looks good and below is my feedback.

Please refer my technet article on creating custom log  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32456.powershell-script-for-creating-biztalk-hostshost-instancesadapter-handlers-and-custom-event-log.aspx

1. Once we create a custom log we need to give full permissions to the log path in the registry which is missing in the article otherwise you get permissions issue when writing entries from the application.
    2. I agree that we can do any thing with power shell script but based on my experience in production it is tough to maintain too many power shell scripts and in this case i am talking about script to send emails.
    3. Instead of that I suggest to use Splunk etc..to monitor the logs and send emails separately in a decoupled manner and with this we can also get rid of event viewer archiving frequently as Splunk can store internally after pulling from the event viewer for years and years of data.

Article looks good and Congratulations :)

Thanks

JB

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 9:16 PM
  • My only quibble is with the term 'instrumentation' which to me implies performance counters, tracing and other technical data points.

This is Event Logging.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 10:12 PM
  • Hi Janardhan,

Thanks for the suggestions..I do have to questions

1) When you say we have to give the rights to the reg key, I skipped that part but I am able to write to this new custom log..

2) Can you suggest about this splunk tool??? I have personally never used it..I basically rely on the PS scripts..

Regards,

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:29 AM
  • Hi Johns,

Understood..will change the title and the details of the article...

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:29 AM
  • Splunk works in conjugation with Mongo DB, you will have to pay for storage memory. Splunk can read out from many sources one of them ll be event log which you mostly are going to use in case of BizTalk.

my 2cents don't use splunk for just BizTalk logging, enterprise logging :  May be....And it is not at all cost effective product and NOT the part of of Microsoft Family suite if products :) later being a big reason for me to not advocate Splunk :) 

Regards Pushpendra Singh : Please mark the reply as answer or vote it up, as deemed fit.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:33 AM
  • Hi Pushpendra,

I totally disagree with this statement..I agree it is is not free and need to pay for licence and also it does not mean that we should not use since it is not a Microsoft product..the decision is purely based on cost and architecture..

my 2cents don't use splunk for just BizTalk logging, enterprise logging :  May be....And it is not at all cost effective product and NOT the part of of Microsoft Family suite if products

We were not using Splunk before and using log4net and custom power shell scripts for sending emails and log archiving and we started using splunk since 1 year which gave us full advantage.

Here is the summary of my views why we are using Splunk in production

1. Splunk is enterprise level log monitoring tool which means you have only one tool at the enterprise level
    2. Different applications write log entries to different targets..In our case we have BizTalk writing to eventlog,web api writing to log file,old web services writing to log files and some applications write to custom database.
    3. Splunk is one tool that monitors all these different log sources and send email alerts to groups.
    4. Archiving is in built into Splunk using configuration so we don't need to worry about archiving log files/event viewers.
    5. You can do all the above using power shells scripts but they are not maintainable.

I agree don't go for it if you have only BizTalk but if you have many different applications writing logs then it is good use case to convince the management to go for Splunk.

Thanks

JB

Thursday, October 13, 2016 8:43 PM
  • Hi JB,

I agree it is a good enterprise logging tool :) , but being a Microsoft loyalist I always adviocate our own suite of products . Splunk falls beyond the MS perimeter hence the reply.

Haviing said that I feel you can have many substitutes for example an in house .net based reusable enterprise logging service .

my current project is using Splunk and I kind of dislike those specific queries  to get the search results , remembering all the index  name and leanthy queries:)

Also They are paying through there nose for this thing especially  for the mongo storage when you are storing all those msg payloads .

Thursday, October 13, 2016 9:28 PM
  • Hi Mandar Dharmadhikari,

It's awesome. : )

Thanks for your contribution to BizTalk forum, and keep blogging, and share to the world.

Best regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, October 14, 2016 10:20 AM
  • I just referenced this article in another Answer but that cause me to notice somthing...

I think it would be best to separate creating the Custom Source and Custom Log.  We should always create a custom Source, but using the Application log is perfectly fine in most cases.

Creating a custom Log is super awesome but it's a bit more advanced than beginners should take on, especially with having to explain where the events really are, etc.

Definitely keep it, just separate it into Level 100 and Level 200 sections. FWIW.

Friday, October 14, 2016 8:35 PM
  • Hi Johns,

Thank you for the feedback and guidance..I see the point you made...sure, I will separate out the things..

Regards,

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Saturday, October 15, 2016 12:23 PM
  • This is nicely written and well put Mandar. Great article..

Pi_xel_xar

Blog: My Blog

BizTalkApplicationDeploymentTool: BizTalk Application Deployment Tool

LinkedIn: LinkedIn

Saturday, October 15, 2016 12:36 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi pi_Xel_Xar,

Thanks for the feedback..

Regards

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Sunday, October 16, 2016 2:55 PM