none
developing an interactive web application using excel and VBA RRS feed

• Question

• I've been asked by a charity I work with to develop a web based application to sign people up for an annual holiday event. An individual would access the website, and enter data such as their name, address, phone, etc.

I'd like to be able to pull this info from the website so that I can manipulate it (create rosters, name tags, mailing lists, send e-mail confirmations, etc).

I already do a fair bit of VBA programming across MS Office apps, so the back end should not be a problem. My constraints most likely will be that the charity only has Excel and Word on their computers. The charity also doesn't have any developer tools installed.

Please advise me on where to start building the web UI to input data. I've read a bit on the IIS application documentation on MSDN, but am not certain this is the right path. I would like this app to be accessible from any browser (IE/Firefox/Safari) and platform (computer and smartphone). I know I'm asking for the world, but any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Art

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 1:57 AM

Answers

• Hi c1802362Koo,

Here I think that you have choose wrong tool to develop a web based application.

we can't use Excel and VBA to develop a website.

with the help of VBA you can create programs that can enhance the features and functionality of MS Office Applications and make it user Friendly.

but it can't be use as an back end to make a website.

I would like to inform you that For developing an website you need a knowledge regarding html, css, javascript and other programming languages like vb and c#. also database handling knowledge will required.

then you have to upload your website on the server so that it can be accessible through any platform and any device.

so here I just want to tell you that you are on the wrong path and Excel and VBA will not help you to develop web base application.

For more information regarding this issue you can try to make a search using various search engines.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 3:12 AM

All replies

• Hi c1802362Koo,

Here I think that you have choose wrong tool to develop a web based application.

we can't use Excel and VBA to develop a website.

with the help of VBA you can create programs that can enhance the features and functionality of MS Office Applications and make it user Friendly.

but it can't be use as an back end to make a website.

I would like to inform you that For developing an website you need a knowledge regarding html, css, javascript and other programming languages like vb and c#. also database handling knowledge will required.

then you have to upload your website on the server so that it can be accessible through any platform and any device.

so here I just want to tell you that you are on the wrong path and Excel and VBA will not help you to develop web base application.

For more information regarding this issue you can try to make a search using various search engines.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 3:12 AM
  • Run. Run fast. Run far. Signup systems are non-trivial as in hard to get right, even if you have the right tools.

I'd suggest you either outsource this to someone who does this for a living or look for free ready built alternatives. I think Facebook has some of this kind of functionality. I just did a quick search and found a site signupgenious<dot>com. No clue if it offers what you really need but you get the idea. Also found one called VolunteerSignup<dot>org. Use the google...the force is strong with the google...

If you really want/need to do this, I'd build something simple with php or the language of your choice and provide a method to export to Excel or text on demand. Be advised if you roll your own, you've got to build the security model so the site doesn't get hacked and your data is secure.

Check with the web hosting company; they may have something you can install and use for free or cheap.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 4:50 PM
  • Your best bet is probably VB.NET + ASP.  There is no way in hell Excel and VBA will do it for you.  Be forewarned, there will be a steep learning curve.  If you want to proceed, see the links below, for some ideas of how to get started.

http://geekswithblogs.net/dotNETvinz/archive/2009/04/30/creating-a-simple-registration-form-in-asp.net.aspx

http://www.webreference.com/programming/asp_net/registration-confirmation-system/index.html

http://www.webcodeexpert.com/2013/08/create-registration-form-and-send.html

MY BOOK

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 10:23 PM