Cannot activate EW4 Studio on 2nd machine RRS feed

• Question

• I've searched the forum and cannot find an answer. I've been trying for a week now to activate Expression Studio 4 on my second machine. Sometimes I get invalid key and sometimes I get key is valid and EW4 crashes on me and I'm looking at the desk top. I've been this route over and over again using the so called wizard in EW4 and I get no where with that. I try the phone activation it says to do in EW4 and that is a joke. I did get to talk to a rep 3 times going this route and when I told them very nicely I would like to activate Expression Studio 4 on a second machine they hang the phone up on me. During one of my frustrating attempts it asked for the PID and that was a dead end also and that hasn't showed-up anymore.
    I've been given several email address to contact for activation and they all bounced back to me.
    I've not had any problems with EW4 on one machine except it takes it over a minute to load. No crashes and everything flies in it.
    I would appreciate some help with this.
    Thanks in advance

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 4:49 AM

Answers

• My EW4 has now been activated recently on a second machine with XP after over a month of patiently waiting on Microsoft to find the reason and fix the issue. I've had no crashes. We've worked it hard for nearly 2 days now and so far have had no issues with it.
    I would like to thank Microsoft Support person Rohith and the developers for working on this problem and finding a fix for it.  Rohith was in the machine a couple times a week and stayed in close contact with me until they had this problem fixed. Excellent Customer Service from Microsoft and I thank you.

• Marked as answer by slewfoot Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:03 AM
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 11:59 PM

All replies

• You'll need to open a case with us for assistance with this. You can do that via support.microsoft.com.

Jim

Jim Cheshire http://www.jimcobooks.com
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:35 AM
  • Thanks for your prompt reply Jim. All we get there is enter your product ID to see if there is no charge, or we're missing something. We've put in every number that came with the software and still get no where. " There was a problem with the product ID, etc.. .and I refuse to pay for support on any purchased software.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:45 PM
  • Activation issues are not charged. You will have to give a credit card number to open the case, but that card isn't charged for activation issues.

Jim

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:56 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Jim...so how do we get past all that when none of the numbers that came with the software are accepted to move to the next level?

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 1:26 PM
  • You need to call and speak to someone and open a support case. You can find a number at support.microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:29 PM
  • Ok Jim thanks. I've talked to "quiet a few people" at  "quiet a few phone numbers" for activation support. This has been going on for over an hour and I was getting bounced from one person to another. I've now been told by a router tech that "another activation tech" will call me within the next 8 hours.

I sho got myself a list of MS phone numbers now and met a lot of new people today.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:33 PM
  • I haven't had any problems.
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 11:06 PM
  • You need to call and speak to someone and open a support case. You can find a number at support.microsoft.com.

Update: I would like to thank Jim for pointing me in the direction I needed to go to get this issue resolved. I've been talking on the phone and through emails with Support and as to date we still don't have EW4 activated on the second machine. The support techs have been inside the machine working trying to resolve this issue.
    Support has been friendly, patient and professional.

At one point we stopped for a few days so I could get a clean install of XP Home, SP3, all new updates and added more ram. The machine has all the system requirements and more it takes to run EW4. We've tried new Keys, uninstalled and reinstalled EW4 several times and sometimes we get different error messages.
    One time it will accept a key and then the next time it won't and it will never validate. It then reverts back to saying the trial version has expired and then it'll run a couple of times and revert back to asking for a valid Key. This is not a trial version nor a download. I have the cd.
    During the time I had the machine out for a few days getting it worked on I would receive emails and a phone call from Support asking me if everything was ready to try again.
    I feel confident that Support will resolve this issue and I thank them for their efforts.
    I'll post again later as we get more into this.

Saturday, October 30, 2010 4:55 AM
  • A bit of a tease on your typo:

'I've talked to "quiet a few people" at  "quiet a few phone numbers" '

I doubt they are quiet.  :)

Saturday, October 30, 2010 5:24 AM
  • A bit of a tease on your typo:

'I've talked to "quiet a few people" at  "quiet a few phone numbers" '

I doubt they are quiet.  :)

That was a good one Kathy.
    You must be from the city :-). I live on "the backside of nowhere" in a mountain resort area.  We say youins and yall instead of you and you all. lol
    Is probably culture shock for the tech support in India lol.

Saturday, October 30, 2010 1:11 PM
  • Another Update on this issue I'm having. We still don't have EW4 activated on a second machine. The MS support person has worked in this machine a couple times a week trying to get EW4 to activate. Tonight he worked for a least an hour again trying some new approaches but we end back right where we started from. We've uninstalled and re installed several times. We tried new keys, the old key and sometimes it'll accept the keys but will not activate. One thing the log file showed was the License Key has not been installed. We've sure been putting those keys so many times I got them down saved in my mind's log file.
    He worked tonight to get what I would call a major log file and said he would send it to the developers and could possibly be a bug that is just now showing up and will call me back tomorrow.
    I'm impressed with this guy and his attitude to resolve this issue and I feel certain that the issue will be fixed. I think patience and understanding with MS support is the best approach and not get all bent out of shape so they can work and do their jobs to help us when we need help.
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 4:31 AM
  • My EW4 has now been activated recently on a second machine with XP after over a month of patiently waiting on Microsoft to find the reason and fix the issue. I've had no crashes. We've worked it hard for nearly 2 days now and so far have had no issues with it.
    I would like to thank Microsoft Support person Rohith and the developers for working on this problem and finding a fix for it.  Rohith was in the machine a couple times a week and stayed in close contact with me until they had this problem fixed. Excellent Customer Service from Microsoft and I thank you.

• Marked as answer by slewfoot Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:03 AM
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 11:59 PM