none
SharePoint - in cloud - Workflows don't start automatically RRS feed

• Question

• I have been developing SharePoint workflows in SP 2010 for the last 6 years, using SharePoint Designer running on a local server.  When we upgraded to SharePoint 2013 we also moved to the cloud.  Any new 2013 workflows I write, even though I check the box to "Start Workflow automatically when an item is created", simply do not start automatically.  I can run them manually, and they work fine, but can't seem to run automatically no matter what I do.  

Solutions have included a Site Setting to allow “Workflows can use app permissions” , but activating this has not changed anything.  Numerous (dozens, actually) sites have suggested a PowerShell command on the server to fix the problem, but the problem is that we don't have a server any more - we run SharePoint in the cloud (in other words, at Microsoft).  I can't find any information on how to make the workflows run as something other than the "system account", and besides, they show MY account when I run them manually.

I need to get certain workflows that run annually to run automatically when a list item is created, but it is looking more and more like this simply can't be done.  Is there anything I can do, given that this is the CLOUD version?  Or, am I out of luck?  Please help, as I'm up against deadlines.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Here you go, it wont run automatically for admin.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/1478cc80-7e76-4353-ac55-1d60cb3700d6/automatic-workflow-dont-start?forum=sharepointcustomizationlegacy

if the above doesn't help you

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/f9ccc979-396b-4d9b-8d84-d65619c0da69/sharepoint-workflows-are-not-starting-automatically?forum=sharepointadminprevious

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/3aca71c5-9a1b-47d5-b133-1caa92178fe5/sharepoint-workflow-no-longer-starts-automatically?forum=sharepointcustomizationlegacy

Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the answer if it helps you

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 11:34 PM
  • Yes, you should use a normal user.

顺其自然地勇往直前!—Justin Liu

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 12:41 AM
  • Thanks for your attempt to help, but none of these links provided any solution to my problem.  

I am not logged in as the System Account.  The workflow in question is one that processes an item when it is created.  The item is sent to it from another list, and when the item arrives from the other list, the processing begins.  This has been done successfully for a long time with SP 2010 on a local server, but no longer works with SP 2013 in the cloud.  Solutions that involve commands and settings on the server do not apply because we do not have a SP server.  

If I create the workflow as a SP 2010 workflow, it starts automatically just fine.  It's only when I use SP 2013 Workflow that it does not.  The problem is, the reason for our upgrade was to make use of some features in 2013 that we need that 2010 just could not provide.  I don't want to have to just create my workflows in 2010 when we spent a lot of money on the upgrade.

Please help!

Gary Torborg

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 3:23 PM
  • I have made an additional discovery.  My workflow DOES start automatically if *I* create the item.  If I create the item manually or use Microsoft Access to do this or if I use copy and paste, the workflow starts and runs automatically and correctly.  The only time it does not work is when the item is created by the action of another workflow.

However, since I use this method very extensively, I would then need to know how to make the "sending" workflow run as me instead of as the system account.  I have literally dozens of workflows in which a list item is copied (or "created" in the new system) to one list or another based on a condition, where different types of processing takes place.  A lot of this is for the benefit of end users who are Macintosh users who, therefore, can't run Microsoft Access to do what I just did in one of my lists/workflows.

Any help is appreciated.

Gary Torborg

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 3:53 PM
  • Hi

Have you tried to start the workflow in your running workflow?

顺其自然地勇往直前!—Justin Liu

Thursday, January 12, 2017 12:31 AM
  • I'm not sure what you mean by that.  The workflow in question is a SharePoint 2013 workflow, set to start automatically when an item arrives (that is, when an item is added to the list).  I can start the workflow manually and it runs completely without error.  Items are added to this list by another workflow in another list.  That seems to be the main problem, as the addition of the new item is NOT being done by me or the end user; rather, it is done by the system account.  If I manually add an item to the list, the workflow runs automatically as I expect it to.  But, I need the workflow to start when a list item is sent to it by this other workflow from another list.

Any ideas (even if it's just to tell me that there is no way to do this) are appreciated.

Gary Torborg

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 9:48 PM
  • Hi Gary

sorry for late response.

I know what you are concerning.

It may be an as is function that one workflow can not trigger another.

Or, here is a link for your reference.

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/106101/sharepoint-2013-workflow-to-automatically-trigger-another-workflow-to-start

顺其自然地勇往直前!—Justin Liu

• Marked as answer by Gary Torborg Wednesday, February 8, 2017 10:30 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2017 12:23 AM
  • So, according to the article you linked, I can do this if the destination list launches a SharePoint 2010 workflow, but not a SharePoint 2013 workflow?  I repeat - the destination list needs to launch a SP2013 workflow that I have already written and which runs perfectly when started manually.  It's only flaw is that it will not start automatically.  Also it needs to be a SP2013 workflow because the functionality I seek is not available in a SP2010 workflow.  (Back when we had a SP2010 server, I wrote dozens of these kinds of workflow systems where items were copied from list to list, triggering workflows when "item added to list".)

I'll accept the answer if that's what it is, but this is an extremely large step backwards if that is the case.

Are we screwed or not?

Gary Torborg

Friday, January 20, 2017 3:35 PM
  • Yes, I agree with you

顺其自然地勇往直前!—Justin Liu

Sunday, January 22, 2017 12:30 AM