HERE maps and HERE drive for Universal app

Question

• Hi All,

Is Here Launcher supported in Win RT apps?

Our requirement is to show the following in the map both in phone as well as in tablet
    1. user's location on the map with lat/long
    2. multiple locations on the map with (lat/long collection)
    3. directions on the map with (source lat/long, dest lat/long)
    4. live traffic updates
    5. show different types of pushpins on the map with (lat/long collection)
    Right now I'm launching HERE maps and drive in phone using uri scheme, but it is not supporting point no. 2 and 5.
    In Phone, is there any other way to launch HERE maps/drive other than uri scheme?
    I'm not able to find HERE drive in windows store, is it not available yet?
    In Phone, is it possible to go the HERE maps directly without hitting HERE splash screen? I know we are launching another application so we dont have control over splash screen, but is there any way to accomplish this?

Regards, Sivaraman

Friday, March 13, 2015 1:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Sivaraman,

>>Is Here Launcher supported in Win RT apps?

Based on the official HERE Launchers API document, it looks like Here Launcher is not supported in Store app.

>>In Phone, is there any other way to launch HERE maps/drive other than uri scheme?

As far as I know, HERE Launchers API and Uri Schemes are the only way.

Quote from: http://developer.nokia.com/resources/library/Lumia/change-history/archived-content/maps-and-navigation/here-launchers.html

The services provided by the HERE applications can be used in two ways:

1.By utilising the HERE Launchers API provided, or

2.by utilising the Uri Schemes implemented in HERE applications.

The related thread: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/390ec825-88af-4150-9e5c-03417191e4b5/launch-here-drive-from-app?forum=wpdevelop

>>I'm not able to find HERE drive in windows store, is it not available yet?

Yes, I can only see Here Maps in Windows Store now, so I think it is not available yet.

>>In Phone, is it possible to go the HERE maps directly without hitting HERE splash screen?

I don't find any explanations to talk about this in the above API documents, so I think it's not possible yet using official way.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, March 16, 2015 2:56 AM
  • Thanks Franklin.

One last question, is Here Launcher API supported in Windows Phone 8.1 app?

The source code is in https://github.com/Microsoft/here-launchers with examples. Documentation says that it is supported in Windows Phone 8.

Thanks,

Sivaraman

Regards, Sivaraman

Monday, March 16, 2015 5:45 AM
  • Basically everything that is working on WP8.0 should be working in Silverlight 8.1 Apps as well. It is possible that compiling from code would allow you to make it work in a Universal App (if you put it inside a WinRT component project) but the binary distribution is pretty much guaranteed not to work if you are using something targetting 8.0.
    Monday, March 16, 2015 4:30 PM
  • Thanks Franklin.

One last question, is Here Launcher API supported in Windows Phone 8.1 app?

The source code is in https://github.com/Microsoft/here-launchers with examples. Documentation says that it is supported in Windows Phone 8.

Thanks,

Sivaraman

Regards, Sivaraman

Hi Sivaraman,

>>is Here Launcher API supported in Windows Phone 8.1 app?

I've not tried that in Windows Phone 8.1 Runtime app, as Oliver suggested, it should be supported in Windows phone 8.1 Silverlight app.

You can try it in a simple WP 8.1 RT app and check if it works.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 11:21 AM