Selecting SharePoint version for best fit RRS feed

• Question

• What is the best version of SharePoint to solve our problems?

I looked and got very frustrated by the lack of pre-sales consultation contacts. Seems like a poor business model to me. I found comparisons of MOS and seperately comparisons of Services.

I need the big picture first. How many versions of SharePoint exists? What can be done with each? How do folks decide which version best fits their needs? Where is the feature compairisons of each class of SP, MOS v. Services v. other versions? I did find tons of information but the most basic question was no where to be found.

If it is this hard to get support pre-sales, should I expect that post-sales support is also this frustrating?

Here is a partial list of tasks we need to perform with what ever solution is purchased:

inventory management (manufacturing parts and  finished products)
    RMA and Warranty tracking
    documentation version control
    software code revision control with code level version compare (as in SCM - i.e. Clearcase)
    HR functions
    on-line meetings & messaging & awareness
    project design
    project tracking
    knowledge base and training
    developer tools
    secure remote access

Thanks!
    Kurt

Thursday, March 12, 2009 12:50 PM

Answers

• Hello Kurt,

The three latest versions are Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (WSS v.3), Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (MOSS 07) Standard, and MOSS 07 Enterprise.

Here is a link for more info on the differences:  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/FX101758691033.aspx
    Chris Caravajal: SharePoint Help
    • Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Monday, April 13, 2009 2:20 AM
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:36 PM
  • The main differences:

WSS:  Is ideally for Collaborative Intranet solutions.  As such you will have site and list templates built for collaborative uses:  Team sites, Wikis, Blogs, surveys, discussion forms, RSS feeds, calendar lists, document libraries, etc....  You will also have a short list of Web parts that can be used for displaying data and  the Three State Workflow feature. 

MOSS Standard:  Ideally used for Intranet (organization and aggregation) and Internet (publishing controlled) site.  In addition to all the WSS features, it has reusable, centrally managed services (Shared Services Provider - SSP).  Some key features include:  portal templates, user profiles, social networking, my sites, site directory (for organizing sites in the enterprise), rollup web parts for aggregating info, enterprise search, publishing features (document management and enterprise content management), built in workflows in addition to the Three State Workflow, and records management.

MOSS Enterprise:  In addition to all the features with MOSS Standard, it has the Business Data Catalog (BDC; for connecting to third party databases:  SAP, Siebel, SQL, etc...), Forms Services (browser-enabled InfoPath forms), Excel Services, more Web parts (BDC, Excel Services, Filtering, etc...), and the reports site template.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:51 PM
  • I think you might want to look at this from another perspective.  WSS is free.  I always suggest start with the version that gets you up and running and then apply the additional features if your company has the need. 

WSS and MOSS do not provide many of the functions out of the box that you are looking at but you can create lists in such away that you can accomplish these.

You can create a list in WSS that will handle inventory managment.  By simply adding columns that describe the item and allow you to specify its status, I think you can have a simple list.  The question will be how does workflow play with this.  All of the versions are build on the .net framework 3.0 and therefore can run WF.

RMA and Warranty tracking - This should be simular to the inventory one

documentation version control - WSS and MOSS both do this OOB.

software code revision control with code level version compare (as in SCM - i.e. Clearcase) - Not going to happen.  SharePoint just is not designed for this.

HR functions - Need more info.  I am sure many of these function can be addressed.

on-line meetings & messaging & awareness - SharePoint does not act like live meeting but it does give you on-line collab.

project design - there are templates that will give you a bit of feel here, but once again, SP not designed for project design.  Project Collab would be easy.

project tracking - I have seen some really good implementations here. 

knowledge base and training - Out of the box for both WSS and MOSS with use of the Wikis and Blogs.

developer tools - Visual Studio is the development environment I would recommend for SP.

secure remote access - Yes

Shannon Bray - MCT, MCPD, MCTS, MCITP
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 2:53 PM

All replies

• Hello Kurt,

The three latest versions are Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (WSS v.3), Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (MOSS 07) Standard, and MOSS 07 Enterprise.

Here is a link for more info on the differences:  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/FX101758691033.aspx
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:36 PM
  • The main differences:

WSS:  Is ideally for Collaborative Intranet solutions.  As such you will have site and list templates built for collaborative uses:  Team sites, Wikis, Blogs, surveys, discussion forms, RSS feeds, calendar lists, document libraries, etc....  You will also have a short list of Web parts that can be used for displaying data and  the Three State Workflow feature. 

MOSS Standard:  Ideally used for Intranet (organization and aggregation) and Internet (publishing controlled) site.  In addition to all the WSS features, it has reusable, centrally managed services (Shared Services Provider - SSP).  Some key features include:  portal templates, user profiles, social networking, my sites, site directory (for organizing sites in the enterprise), rollup web parts for aggregating info, enterprise search, publishing features (document management and enterprise content management), built in workflows in addition to the Three State Workflow, and records management.

MOSS Enterprise:  In addition to all the features with MOSS Standard, it has the Business Data Catalog (BDC; for connecting to third party databases:  SAP, Siebel, SQL, etc...), Forms Services (browser-enabled InfoPath forms), Excel Services, more Web parts (BDC, Excel Services, Filtering, etc...), and the reports site template.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:51 PM
  • I think you might want to look at this from another perspective.  WSS is free.  I always suggest start with the version that gets you up and running and then apply the additional features if your company has the need. 

WSS and MOSS do not provide many of the functions out of the box that you are looking at but you can create lists in such away that you can accomplish these.

You can create a list in WSS that will handle inventory managment.  By simply adding columns that describe the item and allow you to specify its status, I think you can have a simple list.  The question will be how does workflow play with this.  All of the versions are build on the .net framework 3.0 and therefore can run WF.

RMA and Warranty tracking - This should be simular to the inventory one

documentation version control - WSS and MOSS both do this OOB.

software code revision control with code level version compare (as in SCM - i.e. Clearcase) - Not going to happen.  SharePoint just is not designed for this.

HR functions - Need more info.  I am sure many of these function can be addressed.

on-line meetings & messaging & awareness - SharePoint does not act like live meeting but it does give you on-line collab.

project design - there are templates that will give you a bit of feel here, but once again, SP not designed for project design.  Project Collab would be easy.

project tracking - I have seen some really good implementations here. 

knowledge base and training - Out of the box for both WSS and MOSS with use of the Wikis and Blogs.

developer tools - Visual Studio is the development environment I would recommend for SP.

secure remote access - Yes

Shannon Bray - MCT, MCPD, MCTS, MCITP
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 2:53 PM
  • Thanks to all for the information. I've got homework to do...
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:39 PM