Powershell, environment variables issue RRS feed

• Question

• User692426287 posted
    Greetings everyone...

So I'm writing a script that involves capturing the IIS Logs Directory. To find the directory of the where IIS logs are located at, I do the following: $IISLogDirectory = Get-WebConfigurationProperty "/system.applicationHost/sites/siteDefaults" -name logfile.directory.value

I get the following output:
    %SystemDrive%\inetpub\IISLogFiles

This is correct and is exactly what I'm looking for. The only problem is Powershell doesn't know how to interpret the %systemdrive% environment valuable due to the percent signs. When I do Get-ChildItem -path $IISLogDirectory, I get an error because of the percent signs in the string.

I suppose I can add a command to strip the percent signs, but I was wondering if there was some sort of syntax I could use so that powershell interprets the percent signs correctly. How do you folks handle percent signs in environment variables?
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:35 AM

Answers

• User-176674611 posted

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. As far as I can think of, the easiest way is to use an -replace operation to replace '%SystemDrive%' with 'C:'. So scripts will look like:

$IISLogDirectory = Get-WebConfigurationProperty "/system.applicationHost/sites/siteDefaults" -name logfile.directory.value
    $IISLogDirectory = $IISLogDirectory -replace "%SystemDrive%", "C:"
    Get-ChildItem -path $IISLogDirectory

Hope this helps, thanks.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, August 1, 2011 11:17 PM

All replies

• User-176674611 posted

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. As far as I can think of, the easiest way is to use an -replace operation to replace '%SystemDrive%' with 'C:'. So scripts will look like:

$IISLogDirectory = Get-WebConfigurationProperty "/system.applicationHost/sites/siteDefaults" -name logfile.directory.value
    $IISLogDirectory = $IISLogDirectory -replace "%SystemDrive%", "C:"
    Get-ChildItem -path $IISLogDirectory

Hope this helps, thanks.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, August 1, 2011 11:17 PM
  • User1065545921 posted

Try:

$IISLogDirectory -replace "%SystemDrive%",$env:SystemDrive

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:28 PM
  • User-1011574161 posted

I know this is an old post, but just in case this helps somone else...

Even better is to use:

[System.Environment]::ExpandEnvironmentVariables(<string>) 

For example:

[System.Environment]::ExpandEnvironmentVariables((gi 'IIS://sites/default web site').logfile.directory)

Reference: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/scriptfanatic/2011/01/02/expanding-strings-and-environment-variables-in-powershell/

Friday, November 15, 2013 5:39 PM