none
cannot access azure file share from on premises win10 client

Question

• Hi,

I followed this url https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-dotnet-how-to-use-files/#mount-the-file-share and configured a file share in azure for a storage account.

But when I try to map from windows client on premises it says, network name not found. Point is looks like the share is not resolvable trough dns. I can't even ping the file share path /srinss.file.core.windows.net/

Infact in azure portal ->file share->connect it shows like this "To connect to this file share, run this command from any Windows virtual machine on the same subscription and location:" That means it is clearly saying you cannot access azure file share from on prem client.

Is there a way to publish through azure dns this file share ? I can't believe how someone wrote above blog wherein its for sure we can't access Azure file share from public network.

regards,

Sridhar

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 11:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

You can mount a file share from an on-premises client application (SMB 3.0 only).

I have tried to mount the file share on my local machine by using net use command, I could mount file share on my machine successfully.

To mount the file share from an on-premises client, you must first take these steps:

1.Install a version of Windows which supports SMB 3.0. Windows will leverage SMB 3.0 encryption to securely transfer data between your on-premises client and the Azure file share in the cloud.

You are using windows 10, it supports SMB 3.0.

2.Open Internet access for port 445 (TCP Outbound) in your local network, as is required by the SMB protocol. Some Internet service providers may block port 445, so you may need to check with your service provider.

Regards,

Vikranth S.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:16 AM
  • Hi vikrant,

C'mmon I have seen these steps.

1. I am trying to map from Win10 itself.

2. port 445 is open as I use my client regularly to map CIFS drives.

Point is "/srinss.file.core.windows.net/" is not reacable from outside Azure network. Do I need to setup azure VPN from premises to Azure cloud to access  azure file storage ? I used tracert command to see whether

/srinss.file.core.windows.net/ is reachable from premises or not and tracert times out at the end saying no response.

Thanks

Sridhar

Thursday, June 23, 2016 10:44 AM
  • Hello,

There has been some discussion on this topic already in the following thread:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34651089/can-i-mount-azure-files-storage-from-my-local-workstation

Regards,

Vikranth S.

Friday, June 24, 2016 7:59 AM
  • Hi Sridhar,

Can you mount that drive from a VM in Azure, just to make sure it's not a problem with the file share? In fact, I'd try it from a VM in a different region if you can, which will confirm that SMB 3.0 is working correctly.

This is usually a case of the username/pwd being wrong, or the port not being open by the corporate network or ISP that you use. Can you doublecheck your settings? username = storage account name, and the password is the storage account's key.

If you're still stuck in the mud, ping back and I'll escalate.

Thanks,
    Robin 

Sr. Content Developer at Microsoft

Thursday, June 30, 2016 7:09 PM