none
Referencing Windows 10 SDK in Visual Studio Community 2015

Question

• I had my visual studio community 2015 installed already on my computer and then i installed Windows 10 SDKs from standalone installers. Now Visual Studio does not show the UWP app creation templates in the new project window, although they were installed successfully. Do i have to reference the SDK in visual studio?

If so, how to do it?

Sarthak Agrawal

• Edited by CoolSarthak Thursday, February 2, 2017 12:24 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2017 7:29 AM

Answers

• Thanks for Nordine MHOUMADI's help.

Hi CoolSarthak,

I agree with Nordine MHOUMADI's suggestion. The Windows 10 SDK provide the UWP app project templates. But we need the Universal Tools for Visual Studio to help us recognize the UWP project template.

You could click the "Install Universal Windows Tools" in New Project windows to install this tool directly. And you also could install the tool from Visual Studio installer. Please go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Visual Studio 2015 Community with Updates -> Change -> Modify -> Checked "Tools and Windows 10 SDK" option.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 6, 2017 2:47 AM

All replies

• Hi!

I hade the same issue.

I had to desinstall the Windows 10 SDK and reinstall it by clicking in "Install Universal Tools" from Visual Studio.

Therefore don't forget to check the system requirement of Windows 10 SDK.

Hope it wil be useful.

If it's good for you, can you mark this answer as answer of your question please?

Follow me on twitter : https://twitter.com/NordineMhoumadi

My blog : https://nordinemhoumadi.wordpress.com/

Thursday, February 2, 2017 5:04 PM
  • Thanks for Nordine MHOUMADI's help.

Hi CoolSarthak,

I agree with Nordine MHOUMADI's suggestion. The Windows 10 SDK provide the UWP app project templates. But we need the Universal Tools for Visual Studio to help us recognize the UWP project template.

You could click the "Install Universal Windows Tools" in New Project windows to install this tool directly. And you also could install the tool from Visual Studio installer. Please go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Visual Studio 2015 Community with Updates -> Change -> Modify -> Checked "Tools and Windows 10 SDK" option.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 6, 2017 2:47 AM
  • Thanks Weiwei Cai,

I got it now. I will proceed this way further.

I also figured out recently that the Visual Studio Setup was downloading the SDKs again and again, though I had the Offline Cache already built up by the "/Layout" option. Even if I turn off the WiFi for installation, it gives the error - internet connection required. I also tried "/NoWeb" argument to start the setup i created with the /Layout argument. But still the setup connects to the internet to download the SDKs again.

I don't know if it is a bug, but i think it should be resolved.

Thanks again for the help.

Sarthak Agrawal

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 7:13 AM