Move Project from hard drive? Best methods. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

Apologies for the dumb question, but I am a Visual SouseSafe newbie.

I created a project with a moderate number of files, without first creating / specifying a database.  As a result my project appears to have been saved on the hard drive of my (now old) laptop.

I would like to move said project and all files to a network drive, where I have created a Visual Source Safe database, so I can access with my new laptop  Was thinking about archiving initial one stored on hard drive, then restoring in new location.  Is this the way to do this, or is there another preferred method?

Thanks for your help.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:41 PM

Answers

• Access them in LAN or internet?

Then create one VSS DB in your server (one PC or one laptop), config that server in the LAN. Add your projects and files into the VSSDB, then you could connect the VSS in LAN from your laptop via VSS client (share the srcsafe.ini file in your server, and access this file in your laptop VSS client, open that).

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by flossytwoshoes Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:35 AM
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 6:09 AM

All replies

• Access them in LAN or internet?

Then create one VSS DB in your server (one PC or one laptop), config that server in the LAN. Add your projects and files into the VSSDB, then you could connect the VSS in LAN from your laptop via VSS client (share the srcsafe.ini file in your server, and access this file in your laptop VSS client, open that).

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by flossytwoshoes Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:35 AM
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 6:09 AM
  • And if you frequently will be accessing this VSS database from outside your LAN, you will want to look into something like SourceOffSite for remote access.

Jeff Clausius - SourceGear

Thursday, November 15, 2012 2:50 PM