Its time to move classifieds to Asp.Net MVC RRS feed

• Question

• User1272303263 posted

Hi,

I think, we had enough of progress on Classified starter Kit based on Web Forms.

Its time to move ahead with the future and that would be to convert the classified starter kit to Asp.Net MVC Classified Starter Kit. It would be much easier to maintain and extends with Controller. I mean C from MVC 

Act Right now, before its late and the charm is lost.

Thursday, October 8, 2009 1:51 AM

All replies

• User1565039490 posted

MVC is great and straight forward. You can easily control everything on a MVC webpage. If you decide to migrate the classified starter kit to MVC please include as many AJAX elements as possible. 

Thursday, October 8, 2009 6:25 AM
  • User1272303263 posted

Oh No... I am not going to create it.

I am working with Rails for few projects. If you love rails, you will love love asp.net mvc.

I might convert  this starter kit to Rails in future.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 2:13 AM
  • User1565039490 posted

I understand you. I am also fan of MVC and .net 3.5. Actually, I've started playing with MVC a few months ago. I tend to keep up with the following technologies:

LINQ to SQL
    Cryptography classes
    Export and compession features of .net
    AJAX

I want to extend the scope of classes to be covered in the near future. I think it's the best way to get quick insight on something new in ASP.NET.

Sure, I've heard about Rails but not that much. Actually, I know it as Ruby. What about me, I am fluent in C# 3.0 and keep jealous eye on VB.net 9.0. Nowadays, we have no choice but to keep step with programmers working in other fields in terms of modern technologies. So, I tend to keep track of other programming technologies (linux, adobe) by reading technical articles on new features and approaches. Sometimes, it allows to take advantage of early moments to embed new features to an application. 

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 9:45 AM
  • User1272303263 posted

All I can say is... Once you touch Ruby On Rails, you will not think of anything else.

Start learning Ruby, since C# 3.0 and C# 4.0 is almost based on Ruby. 

Ruby on .Net = IronRuby ( currently at 0.9.1 ) and 1.0 is round the corner.

With IronRuby, you can work with .Net like VB.Net, C# . One you touch Ruby or IronRuby you will not touch any other language thats for sure.

Please... also let me know, whats so special about VB.Net 9.0, since i am out of touch with Vb.Net since ages.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:27 PM
  • User903913376 posted

MVC and ASPX pages can coexist on one project so long as you're using IIS 7 + 

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:44 PM
  • User1565039490 posted

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience and opinion on Rails.

Please find below all new features of C# 3.0 (Actually, VB.NET 9.0 and C# 3.0 are like two peas  in a pod, so all below mentioned features are also available in VB.NET 9.0. Moreover it's so easy to integrate projects written in other .net languages to your project in visual studio.) Follow this link for further details: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb308966.aspx I've already used all these new features. If you make the most of them in your projects you'll be able to reduce you code in times!

• Implicitly typed local variables, which permit the type of local variables to be inferred from the expressions used to initialize them.
    • Extension methods, which make it possible to extend existing types and constructed types with additional methods.
    • Lambda expressions, an evolution of anonymous methods that provides improved type inference and conversions to both delegate types and expression trees.
    • Object initializers, which ease construction and initialization of objects.
    • Anonymous types, which are tuple types automatically inferred and created from object initializers.
    • Implicitly typed arrays, a form of array creation and initialization that infers the element type of the array from an array initializer.
    • Query expressions, which provide a language integrated syntax for queries that is similar to relational and hierarchical query languages such as SQL and XQuery.
    • Expression trees, which permit lambda expressions to be represented as data (expression trees) instead of as code (delegates).

In general .net framework 3.5 comes with new great features and improvements:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb332048.aspx

As a matter of fact, before making a step forward I always tend to look all over msdn to find out how I can take advantage of all these new features. Frankly speaking, I've already started thinking of migration to .net framework 4.0  
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:58 AM
  • User1565039490 posted

Cool. Actually, MVC is good option if you want to build mobile version of your application. With MVC you can easily create appropriate view for every particular mobile device.

Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:06 PM
  • User1565039490 posted

You were right. IronRuby version 1.0 RC1 has just been released: http://ironruby.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=35312 . I gonna look through it in the coming days.

Saturday, November 21, 2009 8:55 AM
  • User97576600 posted

did anyone converted this to MVC? I am looking for a Classifieds kit in MVC.

Monday, November 21, 2011 2:34 PM
  • User277383800 posted

I also second the motion that the classifieds starter kit would be perfect as an MVC project. Has anyone started this yet? The old starter kit is outdated! Please let us know

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 2:34 AM