4. Watch Output window switch to Build view

5. Wait forever....

6. Repeat process with /log

7. See that even Activity Log says VS is doing nothing after pressing build

8. Repeat with Sysinternals

9. See that VS is not reading a single file after pressing build

10. Wonder what exactly VS is doing

11. Ask myself if MS bothered testing this before they shipped it

12. Conclude that they shipped an alpha quality update 3 onto an already alpha quality Visual Studio 2015 and an alpha quality .NET Core

Any ideas?

Sean Hederman

Thursday, July 7, 2016 11:40 AM

Answers

• It seems to have been related to having the project on a share pre-Update 3. Copying it to a local drive didn't help, but refetching it from the repo onto a local drive appears to have resolved it.

Here are some of the other issues with Update 3:

• Git and IDE don't sync. Even switching a branch from the IDE, doesn't update correctly in the IDE. To be clear: an update initiated by the IDE is not reflected in the IDE.
    • Create brand new .NET Core Console.Restored packages. Built. Output window says all great, UI shows errors everywhere. Just to be clear, this is on a clean OS, clean VS Update 3, and a project created from the UI.
    • VS Package restore and UI get out of sync, with UI not realising new packages are installed, and not picking up for Intellisense, bug reporting. VS Restart required.
    • Update 3 on top of Update 2 install doesn't finish in at least 60% of cases. This has caused us to reinstall some machines.
    • Numerous, numerous crashes, hangs, restarts, issues and so on 

So, guys, my advice is this: avoid Update 3 like the plague. It's not even close to release quality.

Sean Hederman

Thursday, July 14, 2016 5:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Sean Hederman,

Just to make this issue clearly, whether all projects have the same issue in your side?

For example, create a simple app, run it, how about the result?

To make sure that whether it is related to the VS IDE or the project itself, if possible, I suggest you run your app in other VS machine. At least, we could know that it is not the project's issue if it works well in other Environment.

In addition, it seems that .NET core has some default known issues here:

https://github.com/aspnet/Tooling/blob/master/known-issues.md#missing-sdk

So you could check it.

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.

Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites;

Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, July 8, 2016 9:02 AM
  • It seems to have been related to having the project on a share pre-Update 3. Copying it to a local drive didn't help, but refetching it from the repo onto a local drive appears to have resolved it.

Here are some of the other issues with Update 3:

• Git and IDE don't sync. Even switching a branch from the IDE, doesn't update correctly in the IDE. To be clear: an update initiated by the IDE is not reflected in the IDE.
    • Create brand new .NET Core Console.Restored packages. Built. Output window says all great, UI shows errors everywhere. Just to be clear, this is on a clean OS, clean VS Update 3, and a project created from the UI.
    • VS Package restore and UI get out of sync, with UI not realising new packages are installed, and not picking up for Intellisense, bug reporting. VS Restart required.
    • Update 3 on top of Update 2 install doesn't finish in at least 60% of cases. This has caused us to reinstall some machines.
    • Numerous, numerous crashes, hangs, restarts, issues and so on 

So, guys, my advice is this: avoid Update 3 like the plague. It's not even close to release quality.

Sean Hederman

Thursday, July 14, 2016 5:47 AM
  • Hi Sean Hederman,

Thanks for your friendly response.

>>Copying it to a local drive didn't help, but refetching it from the repo onto a local drive appears to have resolved it.

Glad to know that you have resolved this issue.

You know that one thread for one issue, and it seems that not all questions are the same type, to help you resolve this issue as soon as possible and get other community members’ active participation for this issue, would you mind posting a new thread in the forum?

In addition, I could also provide you some appropriate forum for the above different questions.

(1) For the GIT version control, you could post it to the TFS forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?category=vstfs

(2) For the VS setup, you could post it to the Visual Studio Setup and Installation forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vssetup

I think we have to resolve the VS setup issue firstly, and then discuss the GIT/Intellisense/Project developing.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, July 18, 2016 3:05 AM