none
Removing certain strings from a list of strings that comes from a table. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need to remove certain strings from a list of strings.  I am getting both these list of strings from a table.

I was getting the strings that need to be removed from this linq statement:

var filterListVar = (from myrow in mReport.ReportDataSet.Tables["tblLUTPlantPackagingTimes"].AsEnumerable()

where (string)myrow["PlantID"] =="PlantID"

select myrow["PackagingTimes"]);

The list that contains all the words I am getting like:

var wholeListVar = (from myrow in mReport.ReportDataSet.Tables["tblERPPackages"].AsEnumerable()

select myrow["PackageCode"]);

I was trying to make a 3rd linq statement that returns all the words in the wholeListVar except for the words that match the same words in the filterListVar.  But I was not having much success.  How can you do this?  Or better yet...how can I make this just 1 Linq statement that would do all of that?

Friday, September 24, 2010 6:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Lavagin,

You could use Enumerable.Except method (System.Linq) to produce the set difference of two sequences, something like this:

var result = wholeListVar.Except(filterListVar);

or

var result = (from myrow in mReport.ReportDataSet.Tables["tblERPPackages"].AsEnumerable()
    select myrow["PackageCode"]).Except((from myrow in mReport.ReportDataSet.Tables["tblLUTPlantPackagingTimes"].AsEnumerable()

where (string)myrow["PlantID"] =="PlantID"

select myrow["PackagingTimes"]));

If you would like to know something more about the Enumerable.Except method , please refer to :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.linq.enumerable.except.aspx

Best regards,

Alex Liang

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Lavagin Monday, September 27, 2010 5:29 PM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 3:14 AM
  • Hi Alex (again)  :)

I was wondering how you compared two lists together like that in Linq.  Thanks for showing me.

---Dave

Monday, September 27, 2010 5:29 PM
  • Hi Dave,

You mean compare two lists of string ? If the elements of the two lists are same,  then they are equal ? Could you please clarify this ?

Best regards,
    Alex Liang
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:09 AM