Paper size vs canvas size RRS feed

• General discussion

• This may not be possible with the current generation of software, but I figured I'd check anyways.  Is there any way to configure the program to directly map from the canvas size to a paper size?  No matter whether I'm printing labels, reports, etc, I always have to spend a lot of time (and extra paper) figuring out how something is going to print out.

For instance, say I want to print to an 8.5X11 sheet of paper.  Now, the printer driver reports 8.5X11.  The canvas on the program reads 8.5X11.  There are no margins set.  And yet, the output only roughly resembles what you would expect.  I have to print to a smaller (say, 7X9) canvas, and try a bunch of things before I find a canvas size that matches the printer paper.

Put another way, I would like to say, this is the dimensions of the paper, I would like a WSIWYG type display to place items on the paper, and a printout would DIRECTLY correspond to what you see.

It would be great to have an option where you can specify the paper size, get a canvas that represents the paper - maybe its scaled, but essentially the proportions should be identical, and you could get an idea of how the report should look.  THEN, when you go to print the report, it would map that 8.5X11 report, onto the 8.5X11 sheet.  This would simplify report writing immensely.  You could specify the size of the paper you were printing to, and get a preview of how it should look, and then you could simply send it to the proper printer, without having to check if it prints on two sheets or one, etc.
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 6:19 PM

All replies

• Having had to deal with similar issues in the past, I feel your pain.  However, I don't print a lot of reports so I'm not sure I can ensure the correct answer here, but I'll try:

Things should work if you:
    -Set the Report Page size to 8.5"x11"
    -Set your margins to some value (say 0.5", 0.5", 0.5", 0.5"); You'll want margins since most printers do not do full-bleed)
    -Set your header and footer heights to some value (say 1", 1")

Now, set the body to:
    Width = Report Width - Margin Widths = (8.5" - (2 x 0.5")) = 7.5" 
    Height = Report Height - Margin Heights - Header Height - Footer Height = (11" - ((2 x 0.5") + (2 x 1"))) = 8"

That should give you the result you want.

Paul

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 1:54 AM