none
New Installation can not open MSAccess Accdb file with password RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new installation on a Surface computer.    It runs and can open a non password protected MSAccess database.   From it, it gets the string to go to a password protected database, but it receives an error "Cannot open database.   It may not be a database that your application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt."

The program is running on numerous other computers with no issue.

The company opens from fGetStrComp

Function fGetStrComp() As String
            Dim cmd As New OleDbCommand("Select FileName from Companies WHERE Name = '" & fParseString(gCompany) & "'", MastConn)
            Dim strCompany As String = cmd.ExecuteScalar()
            strCompany = provider & strCompany & pswrd
            If CompConn.State = ConnectionState.Open Then CompConn.Close()
            CompConn.ConnectionString = strCompany
            On Error Resume Next
            If CompConn.State = ConnectionState.Closed Then CompConn.Open()
            cmd.Dispose()
            Return strCompany
        End Function

Public provider As String = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source = "

MastConn opens fine and it is     Public MastConn As New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source = S:\Data\MasterData.accdb")  without a password.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 9:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Your code is not about a non password protected database and a password protected database. 

That is done by the connectionstring. 

https://www.connectionstrings.com/ace-oledb-12-0/with-database-password/

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 10:02 PM
  • Sounds like you want to open a ms-access database that is not password protected to get a password to open a password protected ms-access database. Secondly this works on other computers.

If the above is correct and using the exact same database e.g. on a server perhaps then the issue is not in code but instead how this computer has been setup so look for differences in how and what software has been installed and they match up to the other computers. Lastly are they are running say a 32x or 64x operating system.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 10:31 PM
  • Check the file size of the database and make sure it has not exceed 2GB. Also, if you can open the database from Microsoft Access try a Compact and Repair).

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 1:53 PM
  • It goes to the 1st Database to get the string to access the database for specific companies.    The 1st Database is not password protected.     I have removed the password protection for a couple of the companies and the program will open them.    It will not open password protected databases.    

As I said, computers on the same network can open either operating the same program.

Size of the database is not the issue as the 1st Database is the largest of all.  It is just 84,164 KB.

This is a new computer to the network, but I can't see that this would be the issue as this computer can read non password protected databases.

I installed Microsoft Access Runtime 2010 and database Engine 2010 and 2007,     The 2010 are both version 14.0.7015.1000 and the 2007 is version 12.0.6612.1000.

The machine has MS Office 365 installed which is version 16.0.9226.2156

Does the Access runtime version impact Visual Studio's ability to read passwords?

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 2:49 PM
  • After 10 times reading all messages and also those small characters in your first message. I can only see 1 reason. Your access file itself on the S drive has no accessing right itself (or is locked by something else).

You can try what an UNC path does instead of that drive letter by the way. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_(computing)#Uniform_Naming_Convention

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 4:36 PM
  • I am not following you.   This may be due to my ignorance.    If I do follow you correctly, I don't think this is it.   We have 6 computers that are using this program on the same network.   The password is in the connection string and not entered by the user.   The other computers can access the database that is giving the following error:

System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException (0x80004005): Cannot open database ''.  It may not be a database that your application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.

at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString constr, OleDbConnection connection)

at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)

at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()

at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)

at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable[] dataTables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)

at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable dataTable)

at CattleMaster.modComSub.sReCalcAllLots()

at CattleMaster.LotGrid.LotGrid_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 6:01 PM
  • Maybe I shoudl give the rest of the error with assemblies.

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 4.7.2650.0 built by: NET471REL1LAST_B

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

CattleMaster

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Dale.ranches/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/J6PX5HE3.JBB/CCVCM54K.RPK/catt..tion_2342a1f67e577f34_0001.0000_3d7cb5b07f36f6e1/CattleMaster.exe

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 14.7.2556.0 built by: NET471REL1

CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System

Win32 Version: 4.7.2556.0 built by: NET471REL1

CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Core

Win32 Version: 4.7.2633.0 built by: NET471REL1LAST_C

CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Configuration

CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml

Win32 Version: 4.7.2612.0 built by: NET471REL1LAST_B

CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

System.Runtime.Remoting

CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

System.Data

Win32 Version: 4.7.2633.0 built by: NET471REL1LAST_C

CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll

System.Data.DataSetExtensions

CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Data.DataSetExtensions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.DataSetExtensions.dll

Accessibility

CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

System.Numerics

CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll

System.Transactions

CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Transactions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll

System.EnterpriseServices

CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.EnterpriseServices/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll

System.Runtime.Caching

Win32 Version: 4.7.2556.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Caching/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Runtime.Caching.dll

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 6:02 PM
  • If each user must login to a computer, have the person who is having issues login to another computer and open the application. If it opens and works okay this rules out user permission issues and leads back to the computer configuration.

It can't be a code or database issue if there is one database for all users rather than each user having their own database (if they do them as already mentioned compact and repair the database).

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 6:10 PM
  • I doubt that the Access runtime would have anything to do with this.

Can you open the database from Microsoft Access? I just want to make sure this isn't a network resource or permissions issue. Sometimes the error messages can be misleading.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:00 PM
  • Yes, I can open the password protected database with MS Access on the problem machine
    Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:05 PM
  • Yes, I can open the password protected database with MS Access on the problem machine

OK, so back to the .NET app. Did you look at the example from the link that Cor posted? In your first post I do not see where the password is specified in your connection string. Here is an example which uses a database password:

Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\myFolder\myAccessFile.accdb;
    Jet OLEDB:Database Password=MyDbPassword;

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:32 PM
  • As much as I questioned Karen's suggestion, I logged in as the user having the error on my development machine and opened up Visual Studio so I could step through the program.    I ran the application and it bombed on open with the "Cannot open database.   It may not be a database that your application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt."   This makes it a permission issue. 

Stepping through it, it is reading the user name correctly (this is the same name as he used on his replaced machine).     It has to be something related to the password.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:33 PM
  • strCompany = provider & strCompany & pswrd provides the password.

in this case pswrd = ";Jet OLEDB:Database Password='xxxxx';"

provider="Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source = "

StrCompany="S:Data\xxxxx.accdb"

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:39 PM
  • strCompany = provider & strCompany & pswrd provides the password.

in this case pswrd = ";Jet OLEDB:Database Password='xxxxx';"

provider="Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source = "

StrCompany="S:Data\xxxxx.accdb"

Remove the single quotes enclosing the password.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:45 PM
  • This did not fix it.

On the error message when I try to open the Database, I get System.Data.OleDbException: 'No error message available, result code: DB_SEC_E_AUTH_FAILED(0X80040E4D).'

Also, since I ran the program checked in as the user with the error, my development machine even with my log in has the same issue.    I can still open the database with MSAccess.    

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 8:33 PM
  • This did not fix it.

On the error message when I try to open the Database, I get System.Data.OleDbException: 'No error message available, result code: DB_SEC_E_AUTH_FAILED(0X80040E4D).'

Also, since I ran the program checked in as the user with the error, my development machine even with my log in has the same issue.    I can still open the database with MSAccess.    

Wait a minute. Are you getting a different error now? That message usually indicates the connection string is incorrect. 

Can you post the exact connection string value, containing no variables? Just replace the password with something different (same number of characters, no spaces or anything).

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 9:27 PM
  • I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you helping.   

It appears I am getting a different error.  I think both relate to the file not being open  It depends on which program I am trying to open.     When I step through the program, upon the CompConn.Open command, I receive the Cannot open database.   It may not be a database...    I did receive the one System.Data.OleDbException one time.   I don't know why.

The entire string is "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source = S:\Data\xxxx.accdb;Jet OLEDB:Database Password='xxxxx;;"

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 10:06 PM
  • I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you helping.   

It appears I am getting a different error.  I think both relate to the file not being open  It depends on which program I am trying to open.     When I step through the program, upon the CompConn.Open command, I receive the Cannot open database.   It may not be a database...    I did receive the one System.Data.OleDbException one time.   I don't know why.

The entire string is "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source = S:\Data\xxxx.accdb;Jet OLEDB:Database Password='xxxxx;;"

You still have some junk in your connection string. Try this:

Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=S:\Data\xxxx.accdb;Jet OLEDB:Database Password=xxxxx"

• Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:03 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by jjobcorp Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:52 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2018 10:28 PM
  • I see that I typed ";" instead of "'" and it should have been "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source = S:\Data\xxxx.accdb;Jet OLEDB:Database Password='xxxxx'".   I tried it without the single quotes around the password and it didn't help.   Am I missing something else?

The fact that I logged in as the user who has the new computer and after that, I can no longer open the password protected files even when I log in as myself must be a clue.   Remember that there are several computers on our network, running the program that are functioning without a problem.

Everyone is running the same string.
    • Edited by jjobcorp Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:58 PM
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:58 PM
  • The fact that logging on as the new computer user on an existing computer and that making the old logon on the existing computer have the same issue; could mean this is a registry setting or a configuration file changed at logon of the new computer user.   Where would I go to find out about this?
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 2:20 PM
  • The fact that logging on as the new computer user on an existing computer and that making the old logon on the existing computer have the same issue; could mean this is a registry setting or a configuration file changed at logon of the new computer user.   Where would I go to find out about this?

Actually I was able to reproduce your issue on my own machine by using the Encrypt with Password option in Access 2016. I don't know whether Microsoft broke something or they simply changed a feature but this seems to be what is causing the problem. I'm looking into a solution.

Thursday, May 24, 2018 2:42 PM
  • Thank you again.    If it will help, I went in and removed the password from one of the password protected files using the decrypt option under File.     Then when I run the program, I receive a different error on the database Unrecognized database format.   I can still open the database with MSAccess and the other computers running the program can still open the database.
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 2:50 PM
  • What resolved my issue was upgrading to the latest version of the Microsoft Access Database Engine components:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54920

Download the 32-bit version if you have 32-bit Office installed on your machine.

Thursday, May 24, 2018 3:48 PM
  • OT: little bit

Hi Paul, I had given up the hope that there would come again a 64bit provider. I got this one which was also in your link, and it seems to do what it should do?

Therefore=: Thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks,

Success
    Cor

Thursday, May 24, 2018 4:28 PM
  • This may show the issue.   When I tried to install the 32 bit version, it told me I could not install it because I had 64 bit Office products installed.   Office 16 Click to Run Extensibility Component 64 bit Registration, it tells me I have MS Office Access database engine 2007 & 2010 and Office 16 Click to run Extensibility Component.   I assume I should uninstall the 64 extensibility but don't know how.   
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 4:34 PM
  • I did a search and figured out how to delete 64 extensibility.   I then tried to install the MS Access Database Engine 2016 and received a message "The installation of this package failed"
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 4:41 PM
  • Did you do a restart?  Just what i would do, not that I know if it solves something. 

Success
    Cor

Thursday, May 24, 2018 4:46 PM
  • I didn't get back with you quicker because I was doing a reboot.    I did and went to install and again received error pointing to Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component 64-bit Registration.   I  went to Installer and sorted by Subject and it shows only 4ff0.msi Office Click to Run Extensibility Component.   It also shows 501f.msi for Office 16 Click to Run Licensing Component and 5013.msi for Office 16 Click to Run Localization Component.

Should I delete these?    

Thursday, May 24, 2018 4:55 PM
  • Paul is the Access specialist, not me, so wait for Paul.

Success
    Cor

Thursday, May 24, 2018 5:34 PM
  • I did a search and figured out how to delete 64 extensibility.   I then tried to install the MS Access Database Engine 2016 and received a message "The installation of this package failed"

I encountered the same issue and uninstalled *all* of the 64-bit Office 16 Extensibility components and then was able to install the Office Access Database Engine. Did you uninstall all of the Extensibility components? You will also need to run the MS Access Database Engine 2016 install as an administrator.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=office+extensibility+component+uninstall&&view=detail&mid=6ED6919B6D1D8822F9B56ED6919B6D1D8822F9B5&&FORM=VRDGAR

• Marked as answer by jjobcorp Sunday, May 27, 2018 7:41 PM
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 6:32 PM
  • I didn't get back with you quicker because I was doing a reboot.    I did and went to install and again received error pointing to Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component 64-bit Registration.   I  went to Installer and sorted by Subject and it shows only 4ff0.msi Office Click to Run Extensibility Component.   It also shows 501f.msi for Office 16 Click to Run Licensing Component and 5013.msi for Office 16 Click to Run Localization Component.

Should I delete these?    

No don't delete, right click and uninstall as you did for the first one.

BTW, if you are deleting these files instead of uninstalling you will have retrieve them from your Recycle Bin and then perform the uninstall.

Thursday, May 24, 2018 6:33 PM
  • I was uninstalling, not deleting.   I have deleted all Office 16 Click to Run, rebooted and it is still giving me the 64 bit registration message.     Should I just uninstall Office 365 and see if I can get my VB program to work and then reinstall Office?   Or is there some other item that is part of the Extensibility Component 64 bit registration I should uninstall?
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 7:42 PM
  • Lets back up second. Do you have 32-bit Office installed or 64-bit? If you are still getting the same message then it sounds like you may have 64-bit Office installed.

If you do have 64-bit Office installed then you would need to download and install the latest 64-bit version of the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016.

Also, you may want to post a picture of the error dialog when you try to install. It will usually identify the 64-bit component in question.

Thursday, May 24, 2018 8:19 PM
  • I'm not sure.   The reason I assumed it was 32 bit was when I tried to install the 64bit database engine, it gave me several conflicts and the 32 bit gave me this one only.   Truthfully, I'm not sure.  I can send you the error message for the 64, as well, if it will help
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 8:49 PM
  • Go find the "Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component 64-bit Registration" .msi file in the Installer folder and uninstall it.

Thursday, May 24, 2018 11:35 PM
  • I have done both the 64 and the non 64 and still have the issue.   If I do a search for "extensibility" in installer, nothing comes up.   Same for "Click"

• Edited by jjobcorp Friday, May 25, 2018 12:57 PM
    Friday, May 25, 2018 12:55 PM
  • I have done both the 64 and the non 64 and still have the issue.   If I do a search for "extensibility" in installer, nothing comes up.   Same for "Click"

So are you saying that you uninstalled "Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component 64-bit Registration" because the Access Database Engine setup is still detecting it as installed.

You need to look at the Subject column for the .msi files. I don't think using the Search box is going to find it.

Friday, May 25, 2018 1:06 PM
  • You are right about search.   I don't know which of the Click is related here; so, I will uninstall Office 365 and let you know.   Thanks again.
    Friday, May 25, 2018 1:10 PM
  • I uninstalled Office 365 and ran the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 and received the error for 64 bit Registration.   I then to delete the Office folders in my programs file.   In Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Office/Root/vfs/ProgramFilesCommonX64/Microsoft Shared/Office 16 I could not delete msoshext.dll and MSOXEV.DLL because they are open in Windows Explorer.   Could this be the issue?
    Friday, May 25, 2018 1:32 PM
  • I just went to Task Manager Services and found that Microsoft Office Click=to-Run Service is Running.   I stopped it and still could not install the MS Access database engine. However, the fact that it is still there indicates there is something installing it.

Friday, May 25, 2018 1:37 PM
  • I don't know whether it is significant, but while I was trying to manually delete Office, I went to processes as instructed and found none of he issues.   Click-to-Run was found in Services of Task Manager.   I looked at App History and found that My Office had used 0:00:01 of CPU time.   This is after I completely deleted everything except for the two dll files that were open in Windows Explorer.

I looked in Startup to see if there was an Office program and OneDrive and Windows Defender notification icon and Windows Mobile Device Center are the three MS Corporation startup apps

In details, Microsoft ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost.exe, QuickLaunch.exe and MS Volume Shadow Copy Service are running.   SkypeHost.exe is suspended 

Friday, May 25, 2018 2:06 PM
  • Yeah, I think you need to find the .msi file and uninstall. Like I said you need to find "Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component 64-bit Registration" in the Subject when looking for the file in the Installer folder. Sorting on the Subject column should make it easy to locate.

You mentioned something about deleting these files yesterday, so I'm not really sure whether it was deleted or uninstalled. If you can't find the .msi file then I suspect you deleted it and would recommend looking in your Recycle Bin folder to see if you can recover it.

Friday, May 25, 2018 2:20 PM
  • Yesterday I uninstalled all Office 16 Click-to-run items (4) in Installer.

Today, I have done the following with reboots after each and an attempt to install:

1.  completely uninstalled Office 365 including doing the manual parts in the instructions.   I deleted all Office folders from Program Files except msoshext.dll and MSOXEV.DLL because they are open in Windows Explorer

2.  found Office Click-to-run in services of Task Manager and stopped and disabled it. 

3.  In Task manager right clicked an went to services and found the location of the file   I went to Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun and deleted officeclicktorun.exe, office CtR Client.exe and Office C2R Com.exe

none of this worked.   The worst part is I'm not positive this is the issue.    

Two ideas:

1.    delete the whole ClickToRun folder

2.   Reinstall Office 365  as 64 bit if this would work with my program. (problem here is that the 64 driver conflicts with the MS Access database engine 2007, 20010 and Office 16 Click-To-Run Extensibility Component.   My machine shows all of these still active.

• Edited by jjobcorp Friday, May 25, 2018 3:37 PM
    Friday, May 25, 2018 3:00 PM
  • Deleting files and folders probably isn't going to work if the setup program is looking in the Windows Registry to see if something is installed. Also, if the component is running as a Service it would need to be stopped before it could be uninstalled.

Did you look for the .msi file again or no?

FYI, since you have uninstalled Office you can probably install the 64-bit version of the Microsoft Access Database Engine. But in doing so your VB.NET app will have to run 64-bit. That means the Platform option (Build...Configuration Manger) of the project will need to be changed from x86 to Any CPU or x64. Only do this if your app is not dependent upon any 32-bit libraries.

Friday, May 25, 2018 3:59 PM
  • And you are sure you try to install AccessDataBaseEngine_X64 file version 16.0.4519.1000. I had all that kind of troubles you had and this one was going in one time. 

Otherwise I had not told so many times Thanks to Paul. 

Success
    Cor

Friday, May 25, 2018 4:43 PM
  • I promise I uninstalled these and that I rechecked yesterday.   However, when I received this, I checked again and they were all back including the 64.   I once again uninstalled and it worked.   I can not tell you how grateful I am for all of the hassle you have helped me through.

I do have one problem on the machine that originally caused the problem.    When I try to install the database engine, it tells me it conflicts with Microsoft Office Access Runtime 2010.   I went to Installer and tried to uninstall it and it had me approve, but would not uninstall.    How can I uninstall it?

Friday, May 25, 2018 5:04 PM
  • If you are referring to the Access Runtime, I would try the suggestions at the below link:

http://www.uninstallhelps.com/how-to-uninstall-microsoft-office-access-2010-runtime-sp1.html

I've never worked with the runtime before so I might not be able to help you much with that.

Friday, May 25, 2018 8:05 PM
  • I tried this and it didn't work.   It asked me to remove leftovers, but I had to register.   I did and it then asked me to buy a program.   Still it didn't work.

However, the good news is I found a Microsoft program that helps remove programs.   I went there and it removed the hard to remove program and then I could install the driver.

Here is the MS site  

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

I can not thank you enough for the help you have given me.   I don't think I could have made it if it weren't for your patience.

• Marked as answer by jjobcorp Sunday, May 27, 2018 7:42 PM
    Sunday, May 27, 2018 7:40 PM