none
[?] What are [UWP] and [U8.1]?

Question

• I have read the "Guide to posting: subject line tags" but I really don't know what a UWP application is. Probably it would help to define what they are by specifying the template normally used to create the relevant project.

My understanding is that I must use "Visual C#" | "Windows" | "Windows 8" | "Universal" to create an application for the store; is that a [U8.1] project? I know there is also "Visual C#" | "Windows" | "Universal" but I have read that that is not for applications for the store but I could be mistaken.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 11:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Assuming, you are running an updated version of Windows (Windows 10), you should be looking to create a UWP app for any greenfield project, unless there is a very good reason to target a legacy platform such as Windows 8, or Classic Desktop. In Visual Studio, the typical New Project template, the Blank App (Universal Windows) project can be found at ... Visual C# | Windows | Universal | Blank App (Universal). That will give you a UWP XAML application. If you want to create CoreWindow style UWP application without the Xaml you will need to take the Blank App and strip it down manually, as Microsoft don't provide a C# template for that scenario. To build the CoreWindow application correctly, you will need to refer to the C++ example. I couldn't quickly find the link and VS wouldn't load any C++ projects for me to check. So I can't help right now with that.

UWP (Universal Windows Platform) apps deploy to the store. It is the most recent version of what you might think of as Universal apps or store apps which evolved into what we know as UWP. UWP is effectively a platform built up around the Windows Runtime (WinRT), it includes the application container model and the store. WinRT which I think of as the API for UWP is build on top of Win32. So it looks different but consumes Win32 in order to achieve it's functionality.

The topic of what is UWP is actually quite large though, and when you start looking at the .net framework and .net core and how all that (and the rest) relate to UWP and WinRT and Windows, well ... I'm still trying to understand it all myself.  But if I had to sum it up I would say .. Everything is heading toward UWP. So start there.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 12:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Assuming, you are running an updated version of Windows (Windows 10), you should be looking to create a UWP app for any greenfield project, unless there is a very good reason to target a legacy platform such as Windows 8, or Classic Desktop. In Visual Studio, the typical New Project template, the Blank App (Universal Windows) project can be found at ... Visual C# | Windows | Universal | Blank App (Universal). That will give you a UWP XAML application. If you want to create CoreWindow style UWP application without the Xaml you will need to take the Blank App and strip it down manually, as Microsoft don't provide a C# template for that scenario. To build the CoreWindow application correctly, you will need to refer to the C++ example. I couldn't quickly find the link and VS wouldn't load any C++ projects for me to check. So I can't help right now with that.

UWP (Universal Windows Platform) apps deploy to the store. It is the most recent version of what you might think of as Universal apps or store apps which evolved into what we know as UWP. UWP is effectively a platform built up around the Windows Runtime (WinRT), it includes the application container model and the store. WinRT which I think of as the API for UWP is build on top of Win32. So it looks different but consumes Win32 in order to achieve it's functionality.

The topic of what is UWP is actually quite large though, and when you start looking at the .net framework and .net core and how all that (and the rest) relate to UWP and WinRT and Windows, well ... I'm still trying to understand it all myself.  But if I had to sum it up I would say .. Everything is heading toward UWP. So start there.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 12:17 AM
  • Thank you, Gavin.

I should have qualified my question to the subject of tags for this forum. I understand that a general answer to the question of what UWP is quite complex.

So I did try a UWP project using "Visual C#" | "Windows" | "Universal" and they are simpler to work with. So it is good to know that they can be put in the store.

I will likely explore CoreWindow applications sometime but I will start with the basics first.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Thursday, February 23, 2017 12:42 AM
  • Oh right, yep, [UWP] is Universal Windows Platform as discussed and [U8.1] is the Universal Windows 8.1 application model, the earlier iteration.

FYI, the CoreWindow approach gets rid of the Xaml and lets you just use DirectX for rendering. You might use that if you want to make your own user interface for a game or graphics  heavy application. But Xaml also gives you access to DirectX.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 10:14 AM