none
Win. Emb. CE .NET 4.2/CEPC: PB debugger does not start RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm having a problem with debugging a CEPC-based Windows CE 4.2 runtime image on an x86 target system. The Platform Builder 4.2 workspace, which the image has been built from, comprises three custom projects, a stream driver DLL, a WCE application and a WCE static library linked into the WCE application. I have enabled CE target control support, kernel debugger and KITL via the "Build Options" tab of the "Platform Settings" dialog. I have also chosen "Download Image", "Initialize (Jump to Image)" and "Connect to Device" in the "Settings" tab of the "Configure Remote Connection" dialog. After a successful debug build of the platform I'm able to download the OS via the Ethernet bootloader supplied with the CEPC BSP. The kernel debugger connects to the target via KITL for Ethernet and the OS boots up properly.
    After some source code changes in one of the three projects and a second build of the platform (platform headers are not changed) the image is successfully downloaded, KITL is initialized properly, but the kernel debugger doesn't connect to the target again. I've analyzed debug serial output and network traffic and found out, that in case of failure the kernel debugger component on the development workstation does not send a config message for the service KDBG. Therefore the KITL stream for KDBG doesn't get connected. In the PB debug output window the line "Kernel debugger is waiting to connect with target", which showed up after the first download, is missing. This leads me to the conclusion, that the host-side kernel debugger component does not start a all. I would be glad, if someone could tell me, if my assumptions are correct and why the debugger simply refuses to work afer a new build of the platform.

I should mention that I have put the folder containing the PB workspace and the custom projects under SVN source code control - without build products. If I commit my code changes to the SVN repo, delete the folder from $(WINCEROOT)\Public\, check it out and do a platform build again, everything works fine like the first time. But this is a very time consuming workaround ...

Regards,

Martin

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:46 AM

All replies

• Hi again,

it seems that I found a workaround for my debugging problem. I deleted the options (.opt) file from the directory containing the workspace and after the next download the host-side component of the debugger started again. According to MSDN an options (.opt) file "contains tools options such as breakpoint settings"...

Regards,

Martin

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 12:49 PM