none
Excel VBA - Starting an assigned task and communicating the change to task delegator RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to get Excel VBA to recognise and control incoming tasks assigned to me. I can succesfully accept the task as follows:

TaskITem.Respond olTaskAccept

TaskItem.Save

TaskItem.Send

However, when I try to get Excel to change the task status to In-Progress, whilst the task is updated, I can't get the updated task status to be sent to the originator:

TaskItem.Status = olTaskInProgress

TaskItem.Save

TaskItem.Send - throws an error saying the task is not in a state to be sent.

I think I must be missing something simple here, what's the correct procedure for communicating Task Status changes to the delegator?

Thanks in advance

Thursday, December 7, 2017 7:58 AM

Answers

• Hello,

You do not need to use TaskItem.Send to send update. The update would be automatically sent when you save the item at line "TaskItem.Save".

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 8, 2017 7:33 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You do not need to use TaskItem.Send to send update. The update would be automatically sent when you save the item at line "TaskItem.Save".

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 8, 2017 7:33 AM
  • Unfortunately saving the task does not trigger Outlook to send the updated details to the task originator, so if I change the DueDate for example and save it, there is no information passed to the task originator and the task data therefore becomes out of sync.

I tried sending the info as a Task Update but this does not update the task data at the originators end.

Friday, December 8, 2017 3:13 PM
  • That's strange, I just tested this again and this time it worked, I'll check my code
    Friday, December 8, 2017 3:23 PM
  • Just tested it again a few times and it did not work :(
    Friday, December 8, 2017 3:45 PM
  • I was wrong, whilst there was no sign of a task update in my sent items, I'm informed the task as updated!
    Friday, December 8, 2017 3:47 PM