VS 2005 Add-in to extend Class Designer functionality RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm currently facing with an issue using the VS 2005 Class Designer. I have to generate class diagrams for close to 150 projects with around a total of 2340 classes. Following are the issues:
    1. I cannot find a way to generate class diagrams at the solution level. I found that it's a limitation and I need to generate them at project-level.
    2. When I generate at project level, the class by default are in collapse mode. When I expand all classes, they overlap on one another cluttering the class diagram. Due to this it is not understandable. Now I need to move each class in the class diagram to make sure it is legible and then export it as an image.
    The second problem is a very tedious task and given the volume of classes and projects I have, it doesnt make any sense to do it manually.

Hence, I have decided to author a VS addin that can resolve the second issue for me. I will generate the class diagram using the standard VS option and then provide a buttom/menu item on click of which all the classes in the diagram would expand and arrange themselves so as not to overlap.

However, I'm not able to get going. I have been able to create a VS add-in and get the reference to the ActiveDocument. But that's where it stops. I can't find a way to get access to the shapes on the class diagram to arrange them.

Any help/suggestions in this will be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Pavan
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 4:06 AM

Answers

• Hello Pavan,

Since there are very few documents about automation of Visual Studio Class designer, I suggest that you can look into the source of the PowerToys for the Class Designer and Distributed System Designer and see how it extend the class designer.

In addition, I believe you can get better answer about this issue in the Class Designer MSDN forum.

Thanks.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Proposed as answer by Feng Chen Thursday, August 28, 2008 7:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Feng Chen Friday, August 29, 2008 8:18 AM
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 7:49 AM