none
Is it possible to find Connecting String while not able to connect server-based database? RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried personal desktop with SQL Express, and have successfully added connecting string to App.config, this is all on personal computer and local database.

Now the issue is with work computer. Let me call it local desktop and virtual desktop, all the normal work is done in virtual desktop environment, except working on Visual Studio projects. Visual Studio is installed on local desktop (not on virtual desktop), when I go to local desktop Visual Studio Tool > Connect to database, there is nothing, since all the work related stuff in on virtual desktop. Not able to open solution file on virtual desktop, since no Visual Studio on virtual desktop.

Is there any other way to set up connection?

Thanks.

• Edited by VA_er Saturday, March 16, 2019 11:21 PM
    Saturday, March 16, 2019 11:21 PM

All replies

• Now the issue is with work computer. Let me call it local desktop and virtual desktop, all the normal work is done in virtual desktop environment, except working on Visual Studio projects. Visual Studio is installed on local desktop (not on virtual desktop)

So, you have multiple desktops being used. It has absolutely nothing to do with locations/directories on the hard drive where files and programs are kept. There is only one C:\program files directory, there is only one C:\Windows directory, there is only one C:\programdata directory  etc. and etc. You can 200 desktops, but it doesn't mean that there are 200 desktops that have things segregated with 200 desktop images and things being segregated by desktop on the hard drive limited to a single desktop usage.  

Likewise, there is only one location on the hard drive where MS SQL Server Express is located, which c:\program files or c:\program file X(86) (which is  32 bit installation x(86)) when MS SQL Server Express has been installed on the hard drive. 

That connectionstring you are showing has nothing to do with using VS and connecting  to the chosen MS SQL Server Express Database sitting on the computer using VS's Server Explorer off of Tools Connect to Database. The app.config is used by the developed program to connect to the database, which there was a link given to you on how that works. 

If you have installed MS SQL Server Management Stuido (SSMS), an administration tool for the database,  you would have gone through the process of connecting to a database using the database administration tool. The VS's Connect to Database that belongs to VS's Server Explorer is a lightweight version of SSMS used with VS. The Connection screen (Connect To Database) that VS is using to connect to a database  that belongs to VS's Server Explorer and the one SSMS uses are the same screens with identical functionality on connection to a given database out on MS SQL Server.

You don't have C# issues which is the purpose of this particular forum.

You can post to the MS SQL Server Express forum, and they will show you how to use SSMS.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=sqlexpress

You can then take the knowledge you learned in the above forum and post to  the VS forum where they will educate you on how to use VS's Server Explorer to connect to a database for lightweight database administration needs using VS.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?category=visualstudio

It doesn't matter if use MS SQL Server Express, MS SQL Server Server versions or the versions such as 2012 as opposed to 2017 it's all the same on how things work basically.

If you trying to be a software developer, then it behooves you to know the basics on the technology  you're working with, the flour. 

https://www.udemy.com/sql-server-101-microsoft-sql-server-for-absolute-beginners/

• Edited by DA924x Sunday, March 17, 2019 1:12 AM
    Sunday, March 17, 2019 1:09 AM

• So, you have multiple desktops being used. 

NO, it is something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpkPNgfl7jE

Only one machine, what I mean virtual desktop, is the centralized managed desktop (after connecting to network), local desktop is the desktop BEFORE connecting to network.

Even if no internet, I can open Visual Studio. With the internet and network access permission, I can connect to Virtual Desktop via that local machine.

Sunday, March 17, 2019 1:34 AM

• So, you have multiple desktops being used. 

NO, it is something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpkPNgfl7jE

Only one machine, what I mean virtual desktop, is the centralized managed desktop (after connecting to network), local desktop is the desktop BEFORE connecting to network.

Even if no internet, I can open Visual Studio. With the internet and network access permission, I can connect to Virtual Desktop via that local machine.

MSDN does not support 3rd party software. You will need to discuss VMware issues with your IT support staff. 
    Sunday, March 17, 2019 4:25 AM