Xamarin Studio XAML Previewer is missing Xamarin.Forms to display a preview. Why? RRS feed

• Question

• User209994 posted

Hello

When I am trying to show my XAML view in the previewer, I get the message "Your iOS Application project must reference the Xamarin.Forms nuget in order to use the previewer" (See attached photo).

When adding the Xamarin.Forms nuget package to both the iOS projet and the shared project, I get this message:

Package 'Xamarin.Forms.2.3.3.152-pre2' already exists in project 'myApp' Xamarin.Forms successfully added.

When looking at the list of references in the iOS app, there is a reference to Xamarin.iOS, there the Xamarin.Forms are located (as far as I undertand).

Where do I need to add the missing reference so I can use the Xamarin Studio XAML previewer?

Sunday, September 18, 2016 5:16 PM

All replies

• User256432 posted

Also getting this error.

Monday, October 31, 2016 8:05 PM
  • User188634 posted

right click on the xaml file and select Open With -> Xaml Viewer

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 3:23 PM
  • User209994 posted

@AbdelAhadouch that does not answer my question of why the viewer gives me an error message: "Your iOS Application project must reference the Xamarin.Forms nuget in order to use the previewer" - even when that package is already installed in the iOS project.

Monday, November 21, 2016 8:09 PM
  • User200049 posted

Try to update your Xamarin in the nuget packages. :) I guess Xaml previewer requires the latest release of Xamarin Forms. :)

Friday, November 25, 2016 12:15 PM
  • User209994 posted

@MarkVincent Thank you for trying to help!

Unfortunately the update did not help - I am now running the latest version (no newer stable release Xamarin Forms are available). Still no luck on the Xaml preview.

Sunday, December 4, 2016 9:02 AM
  • User200049 posted

Mine too @BananaTie I thought downloading even the VS 2017 RC(the latest edition) will allow me to work on Xaml Previewer but, hehe we still need to wait for the new release hoping Xaml Previewer would work on that.

Sunday, December 4, 2016 8:09 PM
  • User53704 posted

I just see a big grey box that says XFPageRendererView. I guess bravo to the XF team for trying to give us a design time XAML preview. It doesn't seem to work out of the box with my existing code, which is a shame. Luckily Gorilla Player is a pretty decent tool :)

Thursday, December 8, 2016 6:12 PM
  • User72126 posted

Well, to some who still have this proble. The solution is simple. The error message is self explanatory. Solution: Check your IOS/android project and make sure the dll of your PCL/.net standard project is reference. In my own case, its referenced but shows a yellow color. I deleted the reference and re-reference by right clicking on the IOS/android project=>projects=>solution=>selct the PCL/.net standard project => ok

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:27 AM