Using MDS for non-reference data RRS feed

• Question

• I have a requirement to load several datasets into SQL server, which are currently built up by the finance team in spreadsheets.  It's easy enough to load these using SSIS, but the next time I try to load them they're bound to have data type and formatting differences and extra columns that will break the load.

One solution might be to have template Excel spreadsheets that they use to try to avoid these problems.  I'm not convinced this will work very well though.

I'm wondering if MDS might be the solution - if I set up entities for the data sets, they'll be able to use the Excel plugin and just paste their data in.  This will also give me versioning and business rules.

Is this an appropriate use of MDS?  I usually think of MDS as a reference data tool rather than an interface for loading actual financials, but I'm struggling to think of a reason not to!  Any thoughts?

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 11:00 AM

Answers

• Yep.  Since MDS is included in SQL Server I have several customers who use it to create a simple way for end users to manage "homeless" data. 

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

• Marked as answer by Fmoe Wednesday, October 29, 2014 2:40 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:18 PM