none
NET Framework compatibility..... RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Win Server 2012 R2 server with .NET 4.0 installed and need to upgrade it to .NET 4.6.1 to support an app. I read somewhere in this fourn that NET Framework 4/4.5.x/4.6.x cannot coexist with each other. So during the install of the new  .NET Framework will the older NET versions be automatically removed, or will I simply end up a conflict that is hard to resolve?

TIA,

edm2

• Edited by edm2 Thursday, September 8, 2016 9:26 PM
    Thursday, September 8, 2016 9:24 PM

Answers

• Hi edm2,

Since the highest .NET Framework version on your computer is 4.6, and refer to our previous discussion, the .NET Framework 4.6.1/4.6.2 can be installed on your computer and work side by side with the previous versions.

If you have any other installation issue about the .NET Framework, you can open a new thread for it and I will help you to continue researching it, thank you for your understanding.

BTW, if you think my reply is helpful, please mark it as the answer, it will help other community members who have the same or similar issues to easier search this.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by edm2 Monday, September 12, 2016 1:17 PM
    Monday, September 12, 2016 8:26 AM

All replies

• Hi edm2,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Since your OS is Windows Server 2012 R2 and shipped with the .NET Framework 4.5.1 and can the .NET Framework 4.6.1 can be installed on this OS version, we can know this from this: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb822049(v=vs.110).aspx

Meanwhile, from the above article, we can know the following message:

***The .NET Framework versions 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 are built with the same version of the CLR (CLR 2.0). These versions represent successive layers of a single installation. Each version is built incrementally on top of the earlier versions. It is not possible to run versions 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 side by side on a computer. However, the .NET Framework 4 ends this layering approach. Starting with the .NET Framework 4, you can use in-process side-by-side hosting to run multiple versions of the CLR in a single process.  

*** The .NET Framework 4.5 is an in-place update that replaces the .NET Framework 4 on your computer, and similarly, the .NET Framework 4.5.1 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, and 4.6.2 are in-place updates to the .NET Framework 4.5, which means that they use the same runtime version, but the assembly versions are updated and include new types and members. After you install one of these updates, your .NET Framework 4, .NET Framework 4.5, or .NET Framework 4.6 apps should continue to run without requiring recompilation. However, the reverse is not true.

So you can keep both the .NET Framework 4.0 and the .NET Framework 4.6.1 on your computer and you can download the .NET Framework 4.6.1 from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=49981

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, September 9, 2016 2:49 AM
  • Sara,

Thank you for the answer. What surprised me initially was your statement:

"Since your OS is Windows Server 2012 R2 and shipped with the .NET Framework 4.5.1....."

I need to double check but  I followed:

"How to: Determine Which .NET Framework Versions Are Installed"

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh925568%28v=vs.110%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

and did not find the "Full" registry key, which according to the URL

"If the Full subkey is not present, then you do not have the .NET Framework 4.5 or later installed."

So I thought that v4.0 was installed. Anyway, it looks there will be no issue installing 4.6.1 on this box.

edm2

Friday, September 9, 2016 4:26 AM
  • Hi edm2,

According to the official document, the .NET Framework 4.5.1 is shipped with the Windows Server 2012 R2, please see here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5a4x27ek%28v=vs.110%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

When you checked the installed .NET Framework, please check the registry key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4', I found there has another registry key which is similar, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4.0, the 'Full' should under v4, not v4.0.

But it looks like this is not effect the .NET Framework 4.6.1 to be installed on your computer, if you have any other issue about the .NET Framework, please feel free to let met know.

Best regards,

Sara

Friday, September 9, 2016 5:11 AM
  • I checked the "v4', not "v4.0" key and found the installed NET version is 4.6.01055  --> so upgrading to 4.6.2 should be a breeze.

edm2

Friday, September 9, 2016 4:07 PM
  • Hi edm2,

Since the highest .NET Framework version on your computer is 4.6, and refer to our previous discussion, the .NET Framework 4.6.1/4.6.2 can be installed on your computer and work side by side with the previous versions.

If you have any other installation issue about the .NET Framework, you can open a new thread for it and I will help you to continue researching it, thank you for your understanding.

BTW, if you think my reply is helpful, please mark it as the answer, it will help other community members who have the same or similar issues to easier search this.

Best regards,

Sara

• Marked as answer by edm2 Monday, September 12, 2016 1:17 PM
    Monday, September 12, 2016 8:26 AM
  • Thanks for your help Sara. 
    Monday, September 12, 2016 1:18 PM