Windows Media 9 Encoder migration path RRS feed

• Question

• We have some C++ code which makes of the Windows Media 9 Series COM components to allow users of our software to record movies of what they do with our software and send them into our support.  It appears as if the Media 9 Series is no longer available for download from Microsoft's web site.

I see that the Expression web site (http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/Encoder4_Overview.aspx) says that windows media encoder is now unsupported and it also says "Welcome to Expression Encoder, the new replacement for Windows Media Encoder".

If I uninstall "Windows Media Encoder 9 Series" from my computer, I can not find a replacement for download anywhere on Microsoft's web site. Installing the free version of Expression Encoder 4 does give me a little item in the Start menu which I can manually use myself to record movies, but the COM components for the encoder are not installed or registered (CoCreateInstance with CLSID_WMEncoder fails).

So what does this mean? No more recording movies from your own software, unless you use the Apple SDK for Windows, or much older technology that lets you record AVI movies?

• Moved by Ming Ma Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:35 AM forum cleanup (From:MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Profile and Recognition System Discussions)
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:46 PM

Answers