none
unable to download windows 10 preview RRS feed

• Question

• I have been attempting to download windows 10 preview since LAST WEEK when it was first made available.  I've had an MSDN subscription for YEARS, but recently the DVD shipment stopped, so I have to DOWNLOAD everything now.  Unfortunately, it looks like if the file is bigger than the size of a CD (about 700Mb) the download FAILS after SEVERAL HOURS of downloading over my somewhat slow connection.  My somewhat slow connection is an economic concern, and I'd get a faster one if I could afford it right now.  Unfortunately that is NOT an option.  So I'm stuck with it.  I don't mind THAT much, a 31 hour download of 3.9Gb isn't THAT bad if I can JUST LEAVE IT RUNNING and have it WORK.  But NOOoooo... after 4, 5, 6, maybe even 8 hours, it JUST! STOPS! WORKING!  I'm using Firefox to download, by the way, IE has had too many security issues for me to trust it, so I don't.  But even so, shouldn't a download JUST WORK?  And if it can be done with TORRENTS, why can't I just "pick up from where I left off" with the download?  WHY MUST IT START OVER FROM THE BEGINNING?  I *did* notice that it ran longer when I used "keep me logged in" (or whatever it is) at the 'live' login screen, so here is what *I* think is happening:  the security associated with an MSDN download TIMES OUT before I can finish downloading it.  I even tried an older version of firefox, and it popped up a dialog box stating "en_windows_10_technical_preview_9926_x64_dvd_6245061.iso could not be saved, because the source file could not be read."  Seriously?  This is what's happening *EVERY* time?  Well, if it's because your SECURITY times out, WHY NOT JUST LET IT GO FOR 48 HOURS so that people like ME with crappy connections can STILL DOWNLOAD THE 3.9GB file?  Either that, or make INCREMENTAL DOWNLOADING POSSIBLE WITHOUT USING ACTIVEX (another 'security crater').  Yeah, I disable ActiveX because it *IS* a security crater.  Anyway, I want the preview.  I have to download it now.  And I obviously CANNOT.  And it's making my subscription UNUSABLE.  K?
    Wednesday, January 28, 2015 3:34 AM

Answers

• fixed 'FD' error following SOME of what I found here.  did not need to change the BIOS, needed to select 'windows 8.1' in the virtualbox OS emulation option rather than "other windows x64" or whatever it was. 

http://www.windowsbleu.com/2014/10/how-to-fix-error-code-0x0000005d-to.html

installing now.  thanks for those who helped.

Friday, January 30, 2015 6:13 PM

All replies

• Bob, FYI yours is my favorite post on the forums I've read in a long time!  

So, we're working on download speed issues.  We're aware of them, we're working on them.  Also note that the internet is a big crazy place of connected computers.  We're connected to it at a few points, and you're connected to it at one point, and your path to us could be a problem.   It might be something for your ISP to investigate. 

Today, we have the system we have, and that system works best with IE.  I understand your preference for Firefox, but as the MSDN Subscriptions guy, I really recommend using IE particularly with our system.  Because IE can support ActiveX controls, when you come to us with IE, we can have you run a download manager which will ensure that your download completes, and ensure that you can resume where you left off if the download stops.  

I understand your hesitation to run ActiveX controls.  SO you know, you can put IE into a mode where it prompts you every time it wants to run one.  This will let you run only the one that you need to download from us, the Microsoft File Transfer Manager.  You can do this through tools -> Internet Options -> Security Tab -> Custom Level... button, and then scroll down to the ActiveX controls section and set them to "prompt".

I should note that there's one additional extra step you need to do if you are running IE11, which is detailed in the note on the very top of this help page: https://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/aa948864.aspx.

I hope you'll give this a try and come back and let me know how it goes.  

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support

Did Microsoft call you out of the blue about your computer? No, they didn't.

Thursday, January 29, 2015 1:12 AM
  • I have been attempting to download windows 10 preview since LAST WEEK when it was first made available.  I've had an MSDN subscription for YEARS, but recently the DVD shipment stopped, so I have to DOWNLOAD everything now.  Unfortunately, it looks like if the file is bigger than the size of a CD (about 700Mb) the download FAILS after SEVERAL HOURS of downloading over my somewhat slow connection.  My somewhat slow connection is an economic concern, and I'd get a faster one if I could afford it right now.  Unfortunately that is NOT an option.  So I'm stuck with it.  I don't mind THAT much, a 31 hour download of 3.9Gb isn't THAT bad if I can JUST LEAVE IT RUNNING and have it WORK.  But NOOoooo... after 4, 5, 6, maybe even 8 hours, it JUST! STOPS! WORKING!  I'm using Firefox to download, by the way, IE has had too many security issues for me to trust it, so I don't.  But even so, shouldn't a download JUST WORK?  And if it can be done with TORRENTS, why can't I just "pick up from where I left off" with the download?  WHY MUST IT START OVER FROM THE BEGINNING?  I *did* notice that it ran longer when I used "keep me logged in" (or whatever it is) at the 'live' login screen, so here is what *I* think is happening:  the security associated with an MSDN download TIMES OUT before I can finish downloading it.  I even tried an older version of firefox, and it popped up a dialog box stating "en_windows_10_technical_preview_9926_x64_dvd_6245061.iso could not be saved, because the source file could not be read."  Seriously?  This is what's happening *EVERY* time?  Well, if it's because your SECURITY times out, WHY NOT JUST LET IT GO FOR 48 HOURS so that people like ME with crappy connections can STILL DOWNLOAD THE 3.9GB file?  Either that, or make INCREMENTAL DOWNLOADING POSSIBLE WITHOUT USING ACTIVEX (another 'security crater').  Yeah, I disable ActiveX because it *IS* a security crater.  Anyway, I want the preview.  I have to download it now.  And I obviously CANNOT.  And it's making my subscription UNUSABLE.  K?
    Hi, I will add to Mike, You could try to download it in a webcafe or such public place. I even have friend that on the road they try to spot open wifi to use their email in example. 

Regards, Philippe

Don't forget to mark as answer or vote as helpful to help identify good information. ( linkedin endorsement never hurt too :o) )

Answer an interesting question ? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, January 29, 2015 6:24 PM
  • thanks for the info about IE11, by the way, because without the instructions on going into 'emulation mode' for IE 9, the downloader would NOT have loaded.  So it looks like I'm stuck with IE+activex at least for that ONE site [if there were a reasonable way to restrict IE to 'microsoft.com' only I would DO IT to prevent 3rd party embedded crack attacks from otherwise 'safe' web sites].  In any case, the download is about 30% done and appears that it will actually work this time.  But the thing is, without emulation mode, I would have been BACK IN THE SAME PLACE, downloading the same way firefox was downloading, via http.  I know that it is possible to PAUSE a download via http with firefox.  I know that it can pick up where it left off in at least SOME cases.  There are restartable download features in wget on Linux.  So what I would really like to see is the SAME capability of doing an http request to pick up the download from where you are already, and continuing from that point.  It really WOULD solve a lot of problems.  Either that, or a download application that's not an ActiveX plugin that requires a downgrade to the browser version to work.

in any case, thanks for steering me to the info I needed.  My windows 7 VM was 'upgraded' to 11 in an update from a while back, and I had considered NOT upgrading it [like I usually do, keep it 'vanilla'], and having to jump through a hoop or two to get the download to work was a bit irritating, but not an impossible task.  and now that I know what to do, not a big deal any more.

FYI my connection is slow because my ISP sucks, but getting a new connection requires up-front costs and a 2 year contract and an extra $40 or so per month.  I need a fixed IP address.  That's why.  Over a decade ago I got the current service, and within the last few years they've downgraded me to about 1/3 of the original speed, most likely because they're being cheap and I'm one of the 'few left' or something.  So 40k/sec is my ISP's problem in 'last mile' DSL.  Aside from that, I can just leave downloaders running for DAYS if I have to, no big deal really, as long as they don't disconnect partway through and require me to start from the beginning.  I'm sure I'm not the ONLY person out there who is economically challenged with a business-type connection and the resulting LOW speed.  I'm sure you guys would rather I renew my subscription instead of upgrading my internet, heh.  yeah, businesses always 'on the edge'.

Thursday, January 29, 2015 6:54 PM
  • hi, glad to know it's working!

for suggestion like that I would suggest https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/257854-internet-explorer-platform, it's the best place as it's checked by the ie team.

I have the feeling they ignored that idea to not make competition in that market (to let software dseveloper like for getright and such to survive) Like the fact they didnt integrated a antivirus in the windows directly.

Regards, Philippe

Don't forget to mark as answer or vote as helpful to help identify good information. ( linkedin endorsement never hurt too :o) )

Answer an interesting question ? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, January 29, 2015 8:08 PM
  • well, looks like I was able to download the ISO, but now it won't boot into a virtualbox VM without hanging or giving me an error message.  I'll have to investigate why that is of course but it's rather disappointing after going through all of this to make it work.  I suppose I'll have to wait for the NEXT release.  Too bad, because MOST of my windows development stuff is done in virtualbox VMs these days.

related, the error message I get is:

Your PC needs to restart.

Please hold down the power button.

Error Code: 0x0000005D

Parameters:

0x00000000178BFBFF

0x0000000020100800

0x0000000000000001

0x0000000000000000

it's worse if I enable EFI - then it takes longer (hitting the CD/DVD drive periodically instead of continuously) and then HANGS with no error message.

Friday, January 30, 2015 6:04 PM
  • fixed 'FD' error following SOME of what I found here.  did not need to change the BIOS, needed to select 'windows 8.1' in the virtualbox OS emulation option rather than "other windows x64" or whatever it was. 

http://www.windowsbleu.com/2014/10/how-to-fix-error-code-0x0000005d-to.html

installing now.  thanks for those who helped.

Friday, January 30, 2015 6:13 PM