none
Access 2013 Web App - Daily email report if new records are created. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

Is there a possibility to set up a send email funcionality in a way it will  send an email once a day (on specific hour, to different users) with information that new records need to be processed? Or maybe there are some other ways....

Thank you in advance

MichalLip

Thursday, September 24, 2015 4:12 PM

Answers

• Actually, there is one more option to consider.

Access Web Apps are hosted using SQL Server/SharePoint or SQL Azure (in Office 365).  It is possible to enable external read-only connections to the SQL Server database used for Access Web Apps so that you can use Access 2013 or 2016 for reporting purposes.

In this scenario, you could build an Access desktop application (similar to what I outlined in my original response above) that reads the data in SQL Server, determines if there are new records, then sends the email. 

Yes, it's not functionality directly enabled in the Web Apps programming model, but the two applications share the same data so it should not be an issue for your requirements.

Have a look at this information for details:

https://blogs.office.com/2012/08/08/access-2013-and-sql-server/

Friday, September 25, 2015 4:38 PM

All replies

• Edit: Well shoot me for not reading carefully.  I obviously missed that your post was about an Access 2013 *Web* apps.  Please disregard the following...

You should be able to do this via some VBA programming in a custom application.

For sending email, you can use the built-in DoCmd.SendObject method. (While technically this function lets you email database objects to users, you can pass acSendNoObject for the ObjectType parameter to specify that no object is sent.)

Note that the machine that generates the email message will need to have a default MAPI email application installed (usually Outlook provides this function if Access is installed as part of Office).

You can then use the Form.Timer event to run code at specific intervals. This could in turn run your custom logic to check for new records and send email to specific people.  You could program it so that this happens just once a day if you like.  (You'd place this logic on the startup form for your application to ensure that it runs.)

Note that you'd have to have an application running continuously to make this work... I don't know of a way to "trigger" this from just a back-end database.  However, the app could be co-hosted on the back-end with the database, and should not need to be distributed to client machines. It would behave more like a notification service than a client application.

If this rather simple Access built-in features are not powerful enough for you, there are various good email packages available from third party developers. You can find them via a search.

Hope this helps.

• Edited by Gary Voth Friday, September 25, 2015 4:30 PM
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 7:17 PM
  • Hi MichalLip,

>> Is there a possibility to set up a send email funcionality in a way it will  send an email once a day (on specific hour, to different users) with information that new records need to be processed?

No, it is impossible in Access 2013 web app. In Access 2013 client, we have Form.Timer event to run code, but there is no such event in Access 2013 web app.

For sending email when new records are created, you could use SendEmail in the table On insert event. But this event will fire immediately when a new record insert. You could refer the link below for more information about SendEmail.

# Introducing Send Email in Access 2013 web apps
    https://blogs.office.com/2015/01/12/introducing-send-email-access-2013-web-apps/

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, September 25, 2015 3:25 AM
  • Hi All

Thank you for your answers.

I have created Access 2013 Web App and I am sad to hear that there are no possibilities for this.

Is there any chance for this to be in future development?

BR

MichalLip

Friday, September 25, 2015 9:43 AM
  • Actually, there is one more option to consider.

Access Web Apps are hosted using SQL Server/SharePoint or SQL Azure (in Office 365).  It is possible to enable external read-only connections to the SQL Server database used for Access Web Apps so that you can use Access 2013 or 2016 for reporting purposes.

In this scenario, you could build an Access desktop application (similar to what I outlined in my original response above) that reads the data in SQL Server, determines if there are new records, then sends the email. 

Yes, it's not functionality directly enabled in the Web Apps programming model, but the two applications share the same data so it should not be an issue for your requirements.

Have a look at this information for details:

https://blogs.office.com/2012/08/08/access-2013-and-sql-server/

Friday, September 25, 2015 4:38 PM
  • Hi MichalLip.  Not sure if you have yet seen my most recent response?  I think it might provide a way for you to accomplish your goal. Please let us know if this helps address your question.

Best,

Gary

Saturday, September 26, 2015 5:59 PM
  • Hi Gary

Thank you for your answer.

I will test this SQL reporting feature and post my feedback.

Once again thank you.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 8:24 AM
  • Great, good luck!
    Monday, October 12, 2015 2:47 AM