none
How to receive button events for a HID device which has multiple interfaces in Windows? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

For many of the HID devices, when plug it in, we'll see multiple interfaces instead of one in the device list. Take the Jabra 750 headset as an example, we will see something like this(you'll see the same holds true in many free HID testing tools):

Jabra 750 (0)

Jabra 750 (1)

Does anyone know why Windows shows multiple devices instead of one? What's the rational behind it?

Our application needs the user to "attach" one device first in order to use it. If the user attaches the "Jabra 750(1)", then we can't receive button events from "Jabra 750 (0)". But some testing tool seems can receive all the button events from both "Jabra 750 (0)" and "Jabra 750 (1)". Does anyone know how they did it?

Many thanks.

Kenny

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:33 PM

Answers

• view by connection (you are viewing by class) and find the Jabra device, probably enumerated by a usb connected bth radio. how many HID devices are under the bth radio? this is most likely expected since this is the way HID works. a single HID device can describe multiple top level collections (TLCs), each TLCs has its own usage. since the Jabra device has volume controls, that is one TLC. The dial and other potential buttons are in another TLC

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:01 PM

All replies

• View devices by connection in device manager. Does (0) and (1) have a common parent? What is that common parent's driver? Does either (0) or (1) have child devices under them?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 3:21 AM
  • In device manager, I don't see the (0) and (1) interface. But I saw the (0) and (1) in some 3rd party HID testing tool. I think they just use that to identify there are two interfaces for one device.

But in device manager, I see one Jabra device is listed in "Audio inputs and outputs" which is correct. But in "Human Interface Devices" section:

I see 4 "HID-compliant consumer control device", 3 "HID-Compliant device", 1 "Microsoft Hardware USB Mouse" and 5 "USB Input Device".

Thanks.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:06 PM
  • view by connection (you are viewing by class) and find the Jabra device, probably enumerated by a usb connected bth radio. how many HID devices are under the bth radio? this is most likely expected since this is the way HID works. a single HID device can describe multiple top level collections (TLCs), each TLCs has its own usage. since the Jabra device has volume controls, that is one TLC. The dial and other potential buttons are in another TLC

Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:01 PM