SharePoint incoming e-mail and load balanced URL RRS feed

• Question

• This might be a dumb question, but none of the articles I've read about setting up incoming e-mails to SharePoint explicitly laid this out.

Bottom line is, I want the mailto address to reflect the host header for my SharePoint site instead of being the FQDN of my SharePoint server (which 99.999% of online tutorials use to demonstrate).

So, let's say my SharePoint site is http://MyAwesomePortal.domain.local, I want the incoming e-mails to go to:

mylist@MyAwesomePortal.domain.local

MyAwesomePortal has a DNS entry to a load balanced IP address pointing to my SharePoint WFEs.

Where in the deployment do I specify this? When configuring SMTP on my SharePoint WFEs? When creating the Exchange Send Connector?

Thanks for any input!

• Edited by kleung Friday, December 14, 2012 1:49 AM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 1:49 AM

Answers

• The entire farm can only be configured to have one SMTP domain.  You can't specify it on a per-Web Application basis.  The only place it can be specified is in Central Admin -> Incoming Email Settings:

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

• Proposed as answer by RobEllis Friday, December 14, 2012 9:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by kleung Friday, December 14, 2012 7:44 PM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 4:33 AM

All replies

• The entire farm can only be configured to have one SMTP domain.  You can't specify it on a per-Web Application basis.  The only place it can be specified is in Central Admin -> Incoming Email Settings:

• Proposed as answer by RobEllis Friday, December 14, 2012 9:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by kleung Friday, December 14, 2012 7:44 PM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 4:33 AM
  • I'm guessing the Exchange send connector should be set up to go to that same address space, "SharePoint.nauplius.local"?

Friday, December 14, 2012 7:28 PM
  • I'm guessing the Exchange send connector should be set up to go to that same address space, "SharePoint.nauplius.local"?

Friday, December 14, 2012 7:28 PM
  • Yes, the Send connector should be scoped to the SMTP domain as specified in SharePoint (not the domain I'm using above :)).

Friday, December 14, 2012 7:30 PM
  • :) Got it. Thanks!
    Friday, December 14, 2012 7:43 PM