none
Abandoning WordPress for Expression by a former FrontPage user RRS feed

• Question

• Years ago, I did some simple sites in FrontPage (with a tiny bit of html tweaking). 

I'm a high-level language programmer.

Last year I hired a consultant to design (or buy a template) and implement a WordPress site. There are no bells and whistles: just a nice standard background, menu bar, and sidebar. There are only about six pages on the whole site, but it's for a professional product.

I should have suspected that WP was not for me when we encountered difficulty in finding a simple, plain, non-in-your-face template.  I don't need a blog.

Frankly, WP frustrates the ____ out me. It does too much hand holding, thwarts me from doing simple things, and is currently having trouble displaying some WYSIWIG previews while I'm editing. 

I don't know anything about CSS, except it's apparently a template that goes across pages, saving me time, and assuring consistency.  I don't need any scripting/php/java, fancy pop-ups, or anything like that.  I'm happy using FTP rather than depending on a monolithic, opaque tool that does everything for me ... poorly.

I'm fed up and thinking of going back to MS products for this.  I'd like the feedback from this group.  Is Expression a tool that will allow a technical guy like me to easily create pages, add links, insert photos, etc.? 

Do I sound like an old fashioned web designer who just can't make the jump to WP, or is my situation somewhat common.

I need suggestions on where to find a consultant who can set up a template that matches my current one.

TIA

Tom
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:50 PM

All replies

• Download the free trial and try it.  While doing so, go through the Resources section in the Before Posting post so you understand, among other things, what CSS is (it's not a template).  In particular, once you have the basics of HTML and CSS under your belt - EW will help you write them, but you do need to understand what you are asking EW to write - go through Cheryl's Basic Site tutorial.  It walks you through building a site - links, pictures, CSS, etc. - and will give you a good feel for what EW does and how to use it.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:29 AM
  • CSS is the presentation layer, not a template in the sense that a programmer would use.

As Kathy suggested, get the trial and spend a little time with the resources in the before posting sticky especially my Basic Website tutorial and the HTML/CSS self paced (free) classes at http://w3schools.com

Several of the regulars and high medal folks on this forum are pros who can create templates for either EW or WordPress. Check their profiles & sites.

Try out the new expressionwebforum.com

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 5:00 AM
  • I echo what the others have said and add that EW is NOT a good WYSIWYG editor and is not like Frontpage. Frontpagers coming here often express frustration over that difference so do not anticipate EW being a replacement for FP in the way you may have been used to.

A co-worker of mine who is also a high level programmer such as you commented that CSS and the web languages seemed so different and not intuative to him but after some study and trial and error he does what he needs to do. Yes you can place pictures and stuff like FP but at a minimum expect to spend a few days learning CSS and EW.

As far as WP and poor WYSIWYG performance you may find that also to be the same case with EW depending on your expectations. The poor WYSIWYG support by EW gets mentioned on this forum from time to time, search WYSIWYG here and learn more so that you know what to expect, that way you will have expectations in line with what it can really provide.

EW is a fair tool. Each version gets better. Some may feel its still not ready for prime time but I think its worth trying, and if you came from Frontpage at least some of the terminology will be familiar, and I think it is easier to learn for the casual occasional user than Dreamweaver.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:58 PM
  • You can place pictures & things in Expression Web just like you would in FrontPage using Design view but just like FrontPage it may not show up in the browsers where you expect because you will end up with absolutely positioned elements that may not behave the same in all browsers or at all screen resolutions.

That is why you need to learn html & css, so you can understand browser behaviors - how and why they are different.

I also didn't read the original poster as asking for a WYSIWYG, especially since he complained that WordPress was too limiting. As a programmer he will know that WYSIWYG tools don't provide that much flexibility.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:45 PM