Access Front-End/SQL Back-End RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.  Semi-noob question.  I have a 2010 database with a couple linked SQL Server tables.  How do I deploy to a small group of users?  I guess this is in essence already a FE/BE configuration, and so splitting the database isn't relevant.  Or is it?  I think I just need to copy the .aacdb file to the handfull of workstations, create the ODBC on each workstation, and drop a shortcut on each user's taskbar.  That should be it right?  Do I need to change the database extension or anything else?  Thanks for your help!
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:33 PM

Answers

• If you don't have any Access tables, I guess you don't need a back end. But I would convert the ACCDB file to an ACCDE file. Keep the ACCDB in a safe place and distribute the ACCDE. I use a small batch file and a vbscript script to copy the files and create the desktop shortcut and I email a hyperlink to the batch file to each user. Other people have more sophisticated ways for users to pull in the latest version.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 2:03 AM

All replies

• If you don't have any Access tables, I guess you don't need a back end. But I would convert the ACCDB file to an ACCDE file. Keep the ACCDB in a safe place and distribute the ACCDE. I use a small batch file and a vbscript script to copy the files and create the desktop shortcut and I email a hyperlink to the batch file to each user. Other people have more sophisticated ways for users to pull in the latest version.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 2:03 AM
  • << I think I just need to copy the .aacdb file to the handfull of workstations, create the ODBC on each workstation,>>

Similar to a shared Access Back-End, if the accdb front end (or better the accde as previously suggested) is properly linked to the SQL tables, all you need to do is copy the front-end to the individual workstations.

If you distribute a properly linked front-end, you do not need to take any other additional steps on the individual workstations to get the users connected to the back-end.

Miriam Bizup Access MVP

Thursday, July 31, 2014 10:22 AM
  • I think this would still require a DSN on the workstations unless by "properly linked" you mean a DSN-less connection which Access 2010 doesn't seem to natively provide a facility to create.

-Bruce

Thursday, July 31, 2014 1:59 PM