Samples of significant data entry scenarios

Question

• I am looking at the Windows Store app guidelines and there's obviously a ton of samples and guidelines available. However, unless it's staring me in the face, virtually everything is basically about presenting - not adding / entering - data. By that I mean the samples are heavily focused on how to style things, how to retrieve data, landscape/portrait, snapping, touch, etc, etc, - it's all about how data is DISPLAYED.

I'm looking for specific examples focused on data entry and editing. For example let's say I have a basic list of widgets. I need to present the list of widgets (plenty of suggestions on that part, using Gridview or whatever). But I'm looking for design guidelines and technical specifics of allowing the user to add new widgets and edit them. To add, for example, do I typically navigate to a new "Add widget" page? What happens when I commit that? Do I just come back to the list? Where does the new widget appear? What if I want to add a bunch of widgets? I don't want to be back an forth between the list and the "Add Widget" page?

What about editing widgets? Let's say I have a reasonable number of field for each widget (10 or so). Do I switch to the "Edit widget" page every time? What about if I want to quickly edit widgets in the list - can I / should I do that without going to the "Edit widget" page for each one?

What about widgets that have a large number of fields? How do I group these fields in my UI without cluttering like an old-school app?

Just a few thoughts. What I am really looking for is something beyond the endless stream of "how to use this control"-type samples. I am looking at this at a more abstracted level - what's the user experience and their workflow when managing a list of items, whether adding or editing?

I would really love to see some more real-world samples along these lines.

Thanks.

Mark Williams

• Edited by MarkWill890 Saturday, September 22, 2012 5:09 PM
    Saturday, September 22, 2012 4:54 PM

Answers

• I would suggest taking you to different pages to modify each widget & enter all the different data for each widget...just make sure the UI is quick & responsive switching back & forth from the main widget page listing all the widget's & to the page that has all the information you can modify for each widget & that it will save & go back to the widget selection page quickly...so that you can modify it without much trouble.

Unless you are able to make it so that each widget has a drop-down menu including all editable items & that clicking a new widget for modifying the options minimizes the set of options that were out on the previous one & brings out those ones, I would stick with a new window...if you go with the one window way, you need to be able to minimize a section of entry when you are done & commit the new settings live(as you type) or if you can't see the widget's or changes live, commit all the changes after the text edit field loses focus, which should happen if you click a new setting or minimize that list of settings/click to modify another widget's settings.

Monday, September 24, 2012 2:47 PM

All replies

• Yikes - 92 reads of this (implies at least some interest from other folks) but no responses. Starting to get a bit concerned that no-one has done anything "deep" in terms of apps requiring data entry / editing, etc. Would LOVE to have some hope :)

Thanks.

Mark

Mark Williams

Sunday, September 23, 2012 5:36 PM
  • I would suggest taking you to different pages to modify each widget & enter all the different data for each widget...just make sure the UI is quick & responsive switching back & forth from the main widget page listing all the widget's & to the page that has all the information you can modify for each widget & that it will save & go back to the widget selection page quickly...so that you can modify it without much trouble.

Unless you are able to make it so that each widget has a drop-down menu including all editable items & that clicking a new widget for modifying the options minimizes the set of options that were out on the previous one & brings out those ones, I would stick with a new window...if you go with the one window way, you need to be able to minimize a section of entry when you are done & commit the new settings live(as you type) or if you can't see the widget's or changes live, commit all the changes after the text edit field loses focus, which should happen if you click a new setting or minimize that list of settings/click to modify another widget's settings.

Monday, September 24, 2012 2:47 PM