none
Word 2010 document management tree system RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Word 2010 and would like to create a primitive document management system.

Let us say our documents are organized in the following categories/sub-categories:

Forms

Leave

Maternity
           Maternity leave.doc
           Special Maternity leave.doc

Disability
            Short Term disability.doc
            Long Term disability.doc

Procedures

Hiring

New Hire
            New hire security procedures.doc
            New hire payroll procedures.doc

Re-hire
            Re-hire security procedures.doc
            Re-hire payroll procedures.docRe-hire.doc

etc.

Is there any way we can create a drop down menu that mimics this tree structure so that when a user is in Word they can navigate the tree and at the bottom level of the tree they will be able to see the relevant forms and open in Word.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my understanding, you want to create a tree structure in a Word document and users can open the documents from the tree.

>> Is there any way we can create a drop down menu that mimics this tree structure <<

I’m afraid drop down menu is not the choice. I don’t know whether you want to achieve the goal by programming or not.

One way is to create a tree directory in the Word document, every node would link to a document which is storing in a shared folder. Then send the document to users who can access the shared folder. For more information, please refer to Create a table of contents or update a table of contents.

Another way is to add a tree view control then generate the node by code, there are three options: VBA, VSTO, Apps for Office.

I would recommend you to create a VSTO application-level Add-in (Programming Application-Level Add-Ins ) if Visual Studio was installed on your machine. We could create a custom task pane to load a tree view control and bind the control with specified data. Set the TreeView.SelectedNodeChanged Event to open a document while selecting a node.

Here is the links to bind tree view control in C# for your reference:

Populate a tree view in c#

HOW TO: Populate a TreeView Control from a Dataset in Visual Basic .NET

If I misunderstood, please let me know.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is the forum to discuss questions and feedback for Microsoft Word, your issue seems create a macro via VBA is better, thus, I'll move your question to the MSDN forum

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=worddev&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:18 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my understanding, you want to create a tree structure in a Word document and users can open the documents from the tree.

>> Is there any way we can create a drop down menu that mimics this tree structure <<

I’m afraid drop down menu is not the choice. I don’t know whether you want to achieve the goal by programming or not.

One way is to create a tree directory in the Word document, every node would link to a document which is storing in a shared folder. Then send the document to users who can access the shared folder. For more information, please refer to Create a table of contents or update a table of contents.

Another way is to add a tree view control then generate the node by code, there are three options: VBA, VSTO, Apps for Office.

I would recommend you to create a VSTO application-level Add-in (Programming Application-Level Add-Ins ) if Visual Studio was installed on your machine. We could create a custom task pane to load a tree view control and bind the control with specified data. Set the TreeView.SelectedNodeChanged Event to open a document while selecting a node.

Here is the links to bind tree view control in C# for your reference:

Populate a tree view in c#

HOW TO: Populate a TreeView Control from a Dataset in Visual Basic .NET

If I misunderstood, please let me know.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:56 AM
  • Hi arlesterc

You should be able to create a menu that drops down (as opposed to a "dropdown control") to display such a tree, yes.

Which version of Word is involved?

What programming background do you have / programming language are you familiar with?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:29 PM
  • Word 2010.

Have created simple macros for Word.

Monday, March 3, 2014 10:10 AM