File upload using MultipartMemoryStreamProvider RRS feed

• Question

• User475045581 posted

I am looking for a way to implement file upload without writing to the file system.

So far I have only seen samples (that work with RTM) that writes to the filesystem.

What I would like is to create an implementation of MultipartMemoryStreamProvider where I have the stream(s) available to work with.

Can anyone give any guidance on this? Any sample code?

Thanks,

Anders

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:09 PM

All replies

• User-837620913 posted

Sample code from this full blog post on asynchronous file uploads in Web API. See the blog post for more details.

public class UploadingController : ApiController
    {
        public void Post()
        {
            if (Request.Content.IsMimeMultipartContent())
            {
                var streamProvider = new MultipartFormDataStreamProvider("c:/uploads/");
                var task = Request.Content.ReadAsMultipartAsync(streamProvider).ContinueWith(t =>
                    {
                        if (t.IsFaulted || t.IsCanceled)
                            throw new HttpResponseException(HttpStatusCode.InternalServerError);
                    });
            else
            {
                throw new HttpResponseException(Request.CreateResponse(HttpStatusCode.NotAcceptable, "This request is not properly formatted"));
            }
        }
    }

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:35 AM
  • User1594254982 posted

Hi Anders,

MultipartMemoryStreamProvider reads the incoming multipart request, as the name says, into memory streams...following is an example:

Request.Content.ReadAsMultipartAsync<MultipartMemoryStreamProvider>(new MultipartMemoryStreamProvider()).ContinueWith((tsk) =>
                        {
                            MultipartMemoryStreamProvider prvdr = tsk.Result;

foreach (HttpContent ctnt in prvdr.Contents)
                            {
                                // You would get hold of the inner memory stream here
                                Stream stream = ctnt.ReadAsStreamAsync().Result;

// do something witht his stream now
                            }
                        });

hope this helps

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 11:29 AM
  • User3112162 posted

as I understand, we can use the same MultipartMemoryStreamProvider

var streamProvider = new MultipartMemoryStreamProvider();
    Request
    .Content.ReadAsMultipartAsync<MultipartMemoryStreamProvider>(streamProvider).ContinueWith((tsk) => { foreach (HttpContent ctnt in streamProvider.Contents) { // You would get hold of the inner memory stream here Stream stream = ctnt.ReadAsStreamAsync().Result; // do something witht his stream now } });
    Saturday, October 25, 2014 7:35 AM
  • User-1561511148 posted

Hi kiran ,i'm new for asp.net web api please helpme. may i know how transfer image to this method from console or aspx.cs 

this is my controller class

[Route("{YardId:int}/layout")]
    public async Task<IHttpActionResult> PostYardLayout(int YardId)

{

var provider = new MultipartMemoryStreamProvider();
    await Request.Content.ReadAsMultipartAsync(provider);

}

i'm unable to know how image getting through MultipartMemoryStreamProvider.

Friday, January 30, 2015 2:01 AM
  • User-1561511148 posted

Hi any body knows how to Testing Asp.net WEB API MultipartStreamprovider file upload.

Friday, January 30, 2015 2:07 AM
  • User2032108616 posted

http://www.paraesthesia.com/archive/2009/12/16/posting-multipartform-data-using-.net-webrequest.aspx/

T
    his link will help you to create a console application and test your end point.

Thursday, August 10, 2017 1:33 PM