Please help with ado.net provider RRS feed

• Question

• I have built a piece of software and it complains that 'provider not found' in each system i install it. it is suppose to look to sqlserver instance in a network PC. please is there a provider msi installation to solv this problem-probably to be installed as a prerequisite for the application?

Please help

• Moved by Carl Cai Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:13 AM (from vb.net)More related
    Monday, March 3, 2014 12:57 PM

Answers

• Hello,

>>can i just connect to the direct mdf file on the network pc instead of using the sql Server engine?

No, we cannot do this. We have to have an engine to drive the .mdf file.

>>please if there is any provider that can work fine, i would appreciate your help.

Have a try to install the SQLServer2012:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=29062

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Fred Bao Monday, March 10, 2014 6:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fred Bao Friday, March 14, 2014 7:00 AM
    Monday, March 10, 2014 6:29 AM

All replies

• Hello,

If using SqlClient provider it would be there with the Framework but if by chance for some reason you have used OleDb data provider then try setting Target CPU to x86 under project properties on the Compile tab. Otherwise please indicate

• Client OS
    • Targetted Framework i.e. 3.5, 4.0, 4.5 etc.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Monday, March 3, 2014 1:43 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. I actually used adodb for the connection. the sql server is installed in a computer (say with ip 192.168.1.3) and every client is to look to this PC for data.

The application installs properly but complains of provider in every attempt to reach the server. Please help.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 12:36 PM
  • Hello SoftJ,

It seems that you are connecting to a remote SQLSever database. If you can provide the detail error information, it will help us narrow the cause of the problem.

And how do you write your connection string? A remote connection string (SQLServr2012 for example) should be like:

Data Source=190.190.200.100,1433;Network Library=DBMSSOCN;

Initial Catalog=myDataBase;User ID=myUsername;Password=myPassword;

See all connection strings here:

http://www.connectionstrings.com/

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, March 7, 2014 4:39 AM
  • thanks for your response.

can i just connect to the direct mdf file on the network pc instead of using the sql Server engine?

I want to detach the file from the engine and have the raw file saved in a shared folder. then look up to the files from all clients.

please if this is posible, does it need the provider?

my current connection string is: con.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLNCLI10.1;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=SA;PASSWORD=" & instancepass & ";Initial Catalog=" & catalog & ";Data Source=" & userverip & "\" & instancename

i think the problem is the provider i am using. i suspect this will require me to install sql Server on all computers before they can run the application. 

please if there is any provider that can work fine, i would appreciate your help.

thank you

Friday, March 7, 2014 11:41 AM
  • Hello,

>>can i just connect to the direct mdf file on the network pc instead of using the sql Server engine?

No, we cannot do this. We have to have an engine to drive the .mdf file.

>>please if there is any provider that can work fine, i would appreciate your help.

Have a try to install the SQLServer2012:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=29062

• Edited by Fred Bao Monday, March 10, 2014 6:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fred Bao Friday, March 14, 2014 7:00 AM
    Monday, March 10, 2014 6:29 AM