Does it do this? RRS feed

• Question

• Your help is needed.

I am in a small company but we are growing, and we now have the need for a web creation software.  I am comparing the Adobe Suite to Microsoft Expressions Ultimate 4.  

We would prefer to use Microsoft products, but have some questions if they will do what Adobe will do.

Our dilemma:
    We will have people connecting to a web portal from outside our office, and they will need to access reports, Excel spreadsheets, etc.
    We will have a ship in the website that is used to link all of the information.  For example, if a person in the web portal clicks on a ship "Sail" -it will pull up their production stats.  We are wondering the following:

Can Expression Web 4, pull info from our internal server, that is constantly being updated, so that when the sales rep accesses the info - he/she will have the most updated info without us having to update/upload the site every time a correction or updated info is inputted.

Please refer me to a person that I can talk to that will be able to help me.  I have contacted countless branches and departments of Microsoft and have yet to have this question answered. I have been hung up on and treated rudely and I am just about ready to give up and go with the programs I know.

Please advise and help

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:17 PM

Answers

• Neither Dreamweaver nor Expression Web will do what you want without a lot of coding or purchasing an application that is already built. You might also want to look into using SharePoint Server as an extranet which is the term for what it is you seem to be wanting to do.

What you are asking about is not a trivial website and will require programming not just web design no matter what application you use.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:27 PM

All replies

• Neither Dreamweaver nor Expression Web will do what you want without a lot of coding or purchasing an application that is already built. You might also want to look into using SharePoint Server as an extranet which is the term for what it is you seem to be wanting to do.

What you are asking about is not a trivial website and will require programming not just web design no matter what application you use.

For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:27 PM
  • EW and Adobe Suite will not actively set between your internal server and your WEB server to update content.  Someone will need to write a server script on your web server to access the content on the internal server. Or else the internal server will need a script that occasionally writes an updated file to you web server. EW is essentially a document editor. It will edit html and script files. As such it might be the tool a developer could use to write the necessary scripts but it is going to require expertise.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:34 PM
  • Thanks so much I am not a Programmer and I now know why! I am Learning it for just this extensive website, for which I was hired to do but did not know it would entail such things (aka not in the job description) but this was very helpful thanks so much.
    Alicia Devine
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:34 PM
  • Good luck Alicia.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 12:38 AM