Storing global informations RRS feed

• Question

• User420281980 posted

Hello,

I need to store global information somewhere (such as a selected language) for the current connection.

I will give an example:

The first connection(for example a user with google chrome) selects language English. I need to store this information "somewhere".

The second connection (for example a user with microsoft edge) selects language French. I need to store this information "somewhere".

How is it handled in ASP NET Core?

I thought I could use static variables, but I'm not sure. Does each connection have its own static variables? Or are static variables shared for all connections?

Sorry for this question, I am a beginner in ASP Net Core.

Wednesday, March 31, 2021 1:25 PM

All replies

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

Yes static variables are shared by all users : a  web app is basically a single applicarion used by multiple users at the same time.

ASP.NET Core uses https://dotnetcoretutorials.com/2017/06/22/request-culture-asp-net-core/ to initialize the culture for each request based on the first source (allowing for example to take a user overide from the querystring or the browser default for the very first request).

Another common option is to have the culture being part of the route ie using site.com/en-us or site.com/fr-fr

Wednesday, March 31, 2021 1:40 PM
  • User420281980 posted

Hi,

thank you, but this example with language is only example.

I would like to know how information for individual users is generally stored in ASP Net Core.  Static variables I can not use. What can I use?

I store information "Info1" for user "User1", then I store "Info2" for user "User2" etc.

I suppose it can be solved in ASP Net Core

Wednesday, March 31, 2021 1:59 PM
  • User475983607 posted

I think it is important to understand that web sites are stateless regardless of the framework or platform.  .NET 5 comes with many state management APIs.  The first step is to learn what features are available and what problem each API solves.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/fundamentals/app-state?view=aspnetcore-5.0

I store information "Info1" for user "User1", then I store "Info2" for user "User2" etc.

User scoped data is typically stored/cached in a cookie, database, or session.  You might use all three or two or one.  

Wednesday, March 31, 2021 2:32 PM
  • User420281980 posted

Thank you very much.

I will study your link.

Thursday, April 1, 2021 8:34 AM