none
Why platform builder is not getting BOOTME message from the board? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to download my image to the Wince board.For this I'm following the below steps:

1. In platfrom -> settings -> build options -> Enable ebbot space in memory is checked

2. My Windows fairwell is desiable[I have Windows 7, on which, Virtual win XP is installed and PB is installed in Virtual XP ].

Now, to download the image :

1. I'm going to Target -> connectivity options-> Download is ethernet -> Setting[this will give ethernet download settings].

2. Reboot the device

Now, My PB should get the BOOTME message and device name with IP should be shown.Which is not happening.

Can any one please suggest, what could be the problem? Is there any setting in the device [may be in device registry] or in boot loader [this can be changed] so that I can get BOOTME message in my PB??

Thanks,

Jyotiranjan
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:21 AM

All replies

• Some questions :

- PC and board are in the same subnet ?

- in Target -> Connectivity Options -> Ethernet Download Settings, do you see your target device name under "Active target devices" ?

- on serial port, does the bootloader send the message BOOTME in broadcast;

- if you use wireshark, do you see bootloader BOOTME message on the net ?

Paolo.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:42 AM
  • Well, to answer this;

- PC and board are in the same subnet ?

Ans: Yes.

- in Target -> Connectivity Options -> Ethernet Download Settings, do you see your target device name under "Active target devices" ?

Ans: I'm not able to see target device name.

- on serial port, does the bootloader send the message BOOTME in broadcast;

Ans: I'm not using serial cable for this.

- if you use wireshark, do you see bootloader BOOTME message on the net ?

Ans: I'm not using Wireshark.I'll download and check it.

Jyotiranjan
    • Edited by RoutJ Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:03 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:41 PM
  • What is your board ? Tipically the bootloader starts and visualize a menu so that you can set IP network settings. In this menu, you have to set an IP address to the board in the same subnet of your development PC. You have to connect your port to your PC via serial cable to see bootloader menu.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:16 PM
  • - on serial port, does the bootloader send the message BOOTME in broadcast;

Ans: I'm not using serial cable for this.

Paolopat was not suggesting that you were trying to connect over serial, but most bootloaders will output valuable information on the debug serial port.   It would be good if you connected the debug serial port and used something like HyperTerm, TerraTerm or PuTTY to see the serial debug output.   The debug serial output may tell you exactly why you are not seeing the BOOTME packets.
    Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:50 PM
  • An additional information, if your PC has firewall, some times it will block the BOOTME packets.
    Vinoth.R http://vinoth-vinothblog.blogspot.com http://www.e-consystems.com
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Well,

Thank you all, for this info...

Let me check with the serial cable and let me see how it works...

Thanks again. 

Jyotiranjan
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:04 PM
  • @ RoutJ,

Assuming the WinCE network bootloader for your board is working, I believe the problem is related to the Virtual PC environment.

Check to see whether you are able to perform the following from the Virtua PC (where you installed Windows XP and Platform Builder):

-  Access network resources other than what's on your PC, such as storage on another PC or browse the internet

-  From a different machine connecting to the same network, are you able to ping the Virtual PC (where you installed Windows XP and Platform Builder)

Samuel Phung [eMVP] ICOP Technology Inc. http://www.embeddedpc.net
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Hello RoutJ,

Have you solved the problem ?

Best regards,

Paolo.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 1:58 PM
  • Hi,

I am facing the same issue as mentioned in this thread.

- I am not able to access network resources other than what's on my pc and not able to access internet also.

- I am not able to ping the virtual PC.

what should I do to fix this issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Manish

Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:37 PM
  • hi manish,

make sure the ethernet card(s) you are having in host/target system are one supported by winCE (you can check documentation for the same.

you can check whether host and target machines are on the same subnet or not?

secondly, you can try ping with antivirus and firewall deactivated.

hope this helps..

• Edited by deepak_ Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:25 PM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:20 PM
  • I haven't used Virtual XP, but I'm using Windows XP in VMWare Fusion on a Macbook and have had similar issues.

I have set the network adapter in Fusion to Bridged/Ethernet and the IP of the WinCE-board statically to 192.168.0.135 in the CONFIG.SYS-file for the eboot.bin, the host (MacOSX) to 192.168.0.1 and the Fusion/WinXP machine to 192.168.0.2. First I only saw the BOOTME messages in Wireshark but not in my Fusion/WinXP environment.

Then I changed the host to 169.254.0.0, and the BOOTME-messages started showing up in Wireshark on the XP-machine as well, and the WinCE-board showed up in platform builder as well.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:24 PM
  • Thanks Deepak,

I do not have winCE running on a hardware. I have installed winCE on windows virtual PC.

I just found out a link which says that no network cards are supported by winCE1.0.

http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/pro100pc/sb/cs-008432.htm

To work around this issue, I used microsoft lookback adapter in settings->networking of the windows virtual pc , and it worked fine. Means, I am now able to download the os(WINCE) from platform builder to my virtual device(windows virtual PC), and it is booting properly and I am able to run few programs in it with the use of platform builder.

But the problem is that, my virtual PC (WINCE) in not connected to the outer network(because loop back adapter is just a virtual network and has no connectivity with the outer world).

If, still I try to set network adapter in settings->networking of the windows virtual pc , the network connectivity of the host PC goes down and I am not able to make it up till this guest (wince) is running.

configuration :

host machine : Windows 7

Guest machine : WINCE on windows Virtual PC

Can you please suggest any any solution to fix this issue.

Regards,

Manish

Friday, March 1, 2013 10:40 AM
  • Hi Manish,

I have worked on a VirtualBox WinCE PC for sometime and used setting NAT as the adapter in VirtualBox settings. This way I used to be able to get internet from the host machine's wifi card. But this depends on which virtual machine software you are working with. I have only this much input for you.

You ca look on in internet for more info.

All the Best!!

Monday, March 4, 2013 9:16 AM